Please sign in to post.

Florence Itinerary

We are spending 3 weeks on our Vacation to Italy and I’m having trouble with the Florence part. I’ve gotten a ton of help from people on here and just need to know if the Firenze Card (I know 72 hours is the cut off after you first use it) is worth it for us or should I just got to each site separately and book tickets here is our Florence plan. Uffizi I know I need a timed reservation for us so we can enter on arrival day.

Florence for 4 nights:
10/3-10/7

Oct. 3rd
Train from Venice to Florence in the am arrive around 11am
Check in to VRBO than:
Uffizi Gallery (hit this first w/ reserved time 0815-1850hrs)
Galileo Science Museum (0930-1800 hrs)
Piazza della repubblica
Palazzo Vecchio (0900-1900hrs)

Oct 4th Sunday
San Marco Museum (0815-1650hrs) go first thing in am
Bargello (free but busy 0815-1700 hrs)
Santa Croce Church (1400–1730hrs)
Piazzale Michelangelo/ San Miniato
Brancacci Chapel (1300-1700hrs)
Ponte Vecchio

Oct 5th
Day Trip to Siena

Oct 6th
Walks of Italy tour of Duomo/ Accademia (8am)
Check out Piazza SS Annunziata
Basilica Santissima Annunziata
Medici Chapel (0815-1700hrs)
Santa Maria Novella (0900-1730hrs)
Medici Ricardi Palace (0830-1900)

Pitti Palace (0815-1730hrs) Skip if on time crunch

Posted by
6049 posts

Try to go to P Michelangelo closer to sunset
The views and light at that time are beautiful

Posted by
93 posts

This is a very busy schedule. The "problem" with Firenze is that there is too much to see. I am heading back for the 5th time and still will not see it all. So many places to see again and again make it even harder.
I would suggest that you go to Piazzale Michelangelo/ San Miniato after the Galileo Science Museum - it will be later in the day so you might make it to San Miniato for vespers and then see the sunset from the Piazzale.

One thing to note is that the Brancacci Chapels require a timed reservation - but oh so worth it!!

Posted by
856 posts

Piazza della Repubblica is a delight at night. Best gelato in Florence: La Strega Nocciola Gelato, Via Ricasoli 16r, Firenze, Italy

Posted by
4318 posts

Prioritize your must-sees for the mornings. You may run out of steam later in the day, especially with your plans for the 6th.

Posted by
174 posts

Regarding your question on the Firenze Card... You’ll see a lot of people on here say it isn’t worth it because it’s hard to break even. That’s probably true but honestly, when we used it in 2018, it more than made up for that in terms of convenience of quick access without having to worry about reservations.

I don’t know if the process as changed but it was especially nice not having to worry about reservations for the Uffizi and Academia. It sounds like at least Accademia now requires you to still make an reservation. We did still show up prior to opening of both sites and as other people were still getting their tickets and having their tickets scanned, well, we busted right in for shots of David completely by ourselves, even if only for a few minutes. Same with the Bottecilli’s.

We did actually break even over the three days we used it but I would have bought it even if I knew we weren’t. Fifty dollars saved on a trip costing thousands didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things from my POV. It also allowed us to do a few things we probably wouldn’t have otherwise from seeing the library in San Lorenzo to climbing the Palazzo Vecchio tower to doing more of the Pitti Palace.