Please sign in to post.

Florence in February

Has anyone been to Florence in February? I have been checking and I have found that a few Hotels are closed and some tourist activities don't operate during February. We have been to Florence several times before, but never in February. Mostly we are going to see a grandson who will be taking classes at that time. Does anyone have any experience with students in Florence for a semester, what area are they close to? I assume the museums are open, but what about wine tours? Any experienced February travelers comments would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
15899 posts

I've spent approximately 30 Februaries in Florence during my lifetime.
I don't think there are hotels that close in February, if there are they would be very few marginal small ones.
I don't know what tourist activities you refer to, but all museums are open, except for any possible scheduled weekly closure (for example the Uffizi close every Monday). Restaurants will also be largely all open, and so most gelaterie, which are obviously more popular in summer.
Students can be anywhere. There are literally dozens of International schools and universities in Florence, including many international satellite campuses of famous American universities (e.g. Stanford, Syracuse, Pepperdine, Harvard), and they are located at several sites, so you need to inquire with your grandson where he's enrolled, however many are in or very near the historical center, so they are closed to all sights.
Wine tours should be available all year round, many wineries in the Chianti area offer tasting in winter certainly on weekends.

Posted by
91 posts

I was one of those students. Roberto is correct; Florence is a vibrant and fully functioning city every month of the year! He is so lucky to have lived there; I wish I could have lived there longer than my year of study.

February is a great month for fewer crowds. One thing to look up is the dates of Carnevale in Italy (Venice, Viareggio for example) and France (Nice, for example), That might be an amazing experience for both you and your grandson.

Posted by
1652 posts

It makes sense to visit in February as the city as not as crowded as in full season. The possible cons are that the weather is colder than in spring and daylight time is shorter. But the city is in full activity - on the contrary, Florentines will leave Florence in August and maybe also in July for the unrelenting heat. The tourist machine goes on working, but in August many shops may be closed for holiday.

Posted by
516 posts

I was in Florence the first week of February this year. I found no shortage of tourists or tourist activities then (though I did not do any tours). I saw many, many students out and about in the city. I visited several museums, walked for miles and ate gelato every day. The weather was chilly and windy, but sun every day while I was there. It was crowded enough in February that I thought 'what must it be like here all summer'??

Posted by
26 posts

Thank You all so much. This helps so much. And I will schedule the wine tour on the weekends and the British Institute looks fabulous. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.