Please sign in to post.

Florence in a day

We will be arriving in Florence at 10:30 am and leave the next morning at the same time. Can we get in a decent amount of site seeing in one day. I really am just interested in the David, the Duomo, shopping and maybe Uffizi. Also, what area should we book our hotel so that we can get to these easily. Thanks

Posted by
11613 posts

Florence is very compact, if you stay either near the train station or near the Duomo you'll be just a few minutes from the sights you mentioned. Since you have so little time in Florence you should reserve your tickets online for the Uffizi and the Accademia before you leave. If you see the Duomo (and pop into the Baptistry across the piazza) in late afternoon there should be almost no line.

Posted by
53 posts

Thank you, how long does it take to see the Duomo? Also, is the San Lorenzo market within that area to?

Posted by
53 posts

Paticia, Book your tickets ahead of time or you will spend half of your time in line.... and that would be a shame.

Posted by
515 posts

My parents and I spent about a half hour in the Duomo, we though that is very bland and pretty dull. We didn'r climb to the top since it was closed that day. It was oe of the dullest churches we have seen in our trips in Europe. Very dark inside and isn't worth much time IMO. David was absoultely amazing with the prisoners looking out at you as you make your way to David! No pictures allowed, but that doesn't stop everyone. We didn't make to the Uffizi, so can't help you there. We walked across the bridges on the Arno. My father vidotaped inside a shop and got kicked out, so I wouldn't recommend that. We spent about 6-7 hours in Florence. Hope this helps!

Posted by
1880 posts

Are you arriving by train or airplane? I'm guessing train? From the train station it's a 10 min walk to the Duomo, San Lorenzo is 10 min from there. The Arno river is 10 min from the Duomo....everything is close and walkable. You should have enough time to see the main sights. If you find a hotel in the Duomo area I think it's most convenient to all the sights. I do not agree with the previous poster, I think the inside of the Duomo is very pretty and darn amazing. I highly recommend going to the top of the Duomo, or the tower across to get a beautiful view of all of Florence and the countryside. I'd recommend going late in the day so you can skip most of the bus lines that will form to climb to the top.

Posted by
11613 posts

I love the Duomo, but some of the most important artwork is in the Museo dell'Opere del Duomo (museum is near the Duomo and is not crowded). A tip: climb the stairs in the bell tower instead, you'll have views of Florence and a great view of the Dome from high up. If you are going to the Accademia, go upstairs to the pictute gallery for medieval/renaissance painting. So many great things to see in Florence, hopefully you'll be able to return.