Please sign in to post.

Florence Duomo Tickets

Help! The options for booking the Duomo sights is more confusing than it was 2 years ago and I’m not finding any information other than what is on the website. Has anyone booked yet? It seems as if it’s a lot more spendy to book everything, unless I’m missing something. Thanks!

Posted by
16394 posts

skscherger, what is it you want to see at the duomo complex? No, there is no single ticket anymore for everything. This previous thread might help? See my 2nd post on that one regarding tickets:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/florence-duomo-interior

EDITING: Disregard this info and SEE NEW POST BELOW REGARDING NEW PASSES!!! skscherger, these have just been added and may be exactly what you're looking for.

Posted by
415 posts

As I remember it from this summer there were no more combo tickets for the Duomo sights, I believe due to Covid regulations. I had to book all of my tickets separately. I would definitely book online instead of standing in the line of the ticket office. The Baptistery was closed when I was there, but hopefully it's open again. The Dome climb was the best if you're comfortable with stairs. I had never done that on my trips to Florence in the past and I was so glad I did.

Posted by
3405 posts

Instead of climbing the Duomo steps, climb the ones in the Giotto Tower right beside it.
They are more open, have plenty of landings to catch your breath, and have a wonderful view of the Duomo close up!
Much better IMO.

Posted by
985 posts

I’m assuming if you don’t like heights, either of these aren’t a good idea? I don’t mind being up high if there is something in front of me, like the Venice bell tower on St. Mark’s square, or the Empire State Building. But if it’s open air, I get upset.

Posted by
3405 posts

Lulu348:
I'm with you...I don't like heights.
However, I've climbed Giotto's tower four times, and it was ok.
The steps are reasonably wide and enclosed, not on a slant, and there is a big netted cover at the very top.
I wouldn't climb the Duomo as I'm afraid I would want to chicken out half way up!
Too claustrophobic.
There's a church steeple in Copenhagen where you climb an open spiral staircase... on the outside....just looking at it from below made me feel queasy...

Posted by
985 posts

Kathy and SJ, thank you so much. I was getting tired just watching her. I’m not sure this is for me. I get really tired climbing up. Perhaps the one SJ is talking about where I can stop and catch my breath. I’m also concerned about my son, who is overweight and not erobically fit anymore.

Posted by
16394 posts

You're welcome! :O)

Lulu, if not up to climbing ether the dome or campanile (Giotto's bell tower), Piazzale Michelangelo and San Miniato al Monte both offer very nice up-high views without quite so many steps, although you won't eliminate them completely. We did the entire route from center on foot but you could take the bus to the stop nearest the church, and then the steps down to the piazzale. San Miniato al Monte is a must-do anyway, IMHO!

More info on buses in Florence. Ignore the bit about buying a public transit card as an add-on with the Firenze Card as the F. Card isn't currently active, although it's possible that could change for 2022 high season.

https://www.visitflorence.com/moving-around-florence/by-bus.html

https://www.at-bus.it/it/

Bus system in urban Florence:
https://www.at-bus.it/it/orari.html#modTimetables_collapseUrbanLine

Posted by
985 posts

Kathy, I was actually planning on doing this. Isn’t this the church where the monks chat at 5:30? I wanted to do that, then go have dinner at the square below.

Posted by
16394 posts

That's the one!!! We didn't have the pleasure of the Gregorian service but a good friend of ours has and said it was positively ethereal. The church itself is very old and interesting, and the attached cemetery (Cimitero delle Porte Sante) is well worth a walk-through too; Franco Zeffirelli and Carlo Lorenzini (author of Pinocchio) are buried there, and there are lots of interesting monuments.

Google translated from the website: https://www.sanminiatoalmonte.it/contatti/

Church services:
Sundays and public holidays: 8:30 am, 10:00 am, 11:30 am and 5:30 pm
The celebration of 5:30 pm is in Latin and Gregorian chant
Weekdays: 6pm, in Latin and Gregorian chant
Every afternoon at 6.30 pm the monastic community celebrates vespers in Latin and Gregorian chant

Church visiting info:
Monday-Saturday 9: 30-13: 00; 15: 00-19: 00
Sunday 8: 15-13: 00; 15: 00-19: 00
During the liturgical celebrations the Basilica cannot be visited.
Admission is free and reservations are not required for individual visitors, groups or school trips

I'd check into the site before your trip to see if there's any change to the hours for the spring/summer season? I don't have hours for the cemetery but believe it closed before the afternoon church service when we were there.

Posted by
985 posts

You are a doll! I do remember that we could take a taxi to the square, then walk up to the church. I remember once when I was 20, I went to Lourdes, France with my parents. I can still remember listening to the monks and “ethereal” is the perfect description. I’d like to hear that again, and also my family to experience it.

We are only on Florence for 2.5 days. Arriving on a Saturday and leaving Tuesday. Monday is an all day Tuscany trip, so that just leaves Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

Whoever in my family wants to climb the Duomo, it will have to be Sat. Then, I’d like to take a Michaelanglo tour on Sunday. I found a 2.5 hour walking tour , but wonder if it would be better to just wander ourselves. I’ve booked a lot of tours this trip.

Posted by
3405 posts

What time of year will you be in Florence?
It can get very hot and humid from about June-October; as it is in a bowl between hills that holds the heat.
If you are there then, bear that in mind for those climbing towers and hills.

Posted by
16394 posts

I’d like to take a Michaelanglo tour on Sunday. I found a 2.5 hour
walking tour , but wonder if it would be better to just wander
ourselves

Lulu, I've some ambivalence about the walking tour. First, I'm not really sure how that would be organized, as it would involve entry tickets to quite a number of museums where most of his works reside: the Medici Chapels; Palazzo Vecchio, Opera del Duomo, Uffizi, Bargello and, of course, the Accademia. I won't say that it can't happen but it would be interesting to know how many works are included, and how the guide would manage around timed entries.

But secondly, Mike isn't the be-all, end-all of artists who'd contributed to the illustrious Renaissance era of Florentine art, architecture and literature. Not by a long shot. I'd love to see you explore some other gifted notables like Giotto, Masaccio, Botticelli, Raphael, Donatello, Ghirlandaio, Vasari, Lippi, Fra Angelico, Lippi, Del Sarto... They, and others, are all part of the big story, and you may find some of their creations to be as least as, if not even more, inspiring than Mike's!

Posted by
16394 posts

Okaydoke, the Duomo is now offering 3 new combo pass options valid for 3 consecutive calendar days. Click the "Tickets from March 1" text in the menu under the painting on this page to see them:

https://operaduomofirenze.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/buy

This is really good news! More info about the passes on the FAQ page; see "NEW TICKETS FROM 1ST MARCH 2022. HOW DO THEY WORK?"

https://operaduomofirenze.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/support/faq

Posted by
3 posts

Kathy, thank you so much for the update!!! I will check it out today and get ourselves some tickets for our March trip!