Please sign in to post.

Florence-Duomo

I know the Duomo Museum is under renovation until November 2015 and we will be there at the end of this April. Is the entire complex under renovation or will the Baptistry, Bell Tower, Cathedral, and Dome be open?

We've never been so I'm not sure of the configuration of the place! Thanks for your help!

Posted by
5211 posts

Kathy,

Only the 'Opera ( Duomo) Museum' is closed for renovations, you can still visit the Cathedral, the Brunelleschi's Dome, the Giotto's Bell Tower, the Baptistery and the Crypt.

Check this website for more information: http://www.museumflorence.com

Posted by
11613 posts

Everything but the Museo dell'Opere del Duomo is open, the countdown clock on the website shows 241 days (plus hours, minutes, seconds) until it reopens.

Posted by
500 posts

The Baptistry is at present externally covered in scaffolding, but this should not affect internal visits.

The Cathedral is under perpetual maintenance - at any time there are works on something. When everything has been checked, enough years are already passed and it is time to start again....

Posted by
731 posts

Thanks for your replies! I was hoping we'd still be able to take a peak at everything else. Am I understanding it correctly that now there will be ONE fee for entering it all (from the website it looks like 30 euros). Until the museum is reopened do you think the charges will be less?

Posted by
731 posts

Thank you, Priscilla. I will do just that!

I just watched a dvd called the Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance and it was terribly interesting. I'm anxious to see it all first hand at the end of April.

Posted by
13934 posts

Oh, then you should also try to make time to see the Medici Chapels in the Basilica of San Lorenzo. The chapels are near the San Lorenzo market, and your hotel may be located nearby. Rick talks about the Michelangelo statues in at least one of his shows on Florence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medici_Chapel

Do look at that link Priscilla posted and note that you buy the tickets across from the entrance to the Baptistry. If my guide hadn't pointed the place out to me I would have had trouble finding it as it did not seem to be located intuitively, so to speak, lol.