Please sign in to post.

Florence Duomo

The Frienze Card allows access to the Duomo and related sites. A reservation is required for climbing Duomo. The website says to wait until you get there to get the card. Can you make a reservation for Duomo without buying a ticket since it is included in the Card?

Posted by
3112 posts

The Duomo website requires a ticket number to make a reservation to climb to dome, so it appears you need to buy your Firenze Card first. I recently spoke with a woman who said the clock on her Firenze Card started ticking when she made her reservation to climb the dome, which was the day before she actualy visited her first site. She only found out about it when her card expired a day sooner than she had anticipated.

Posted by
123 posts

Hi Ron,

Great question! Rick Steves does a great recap on the Duomo sites and associated ticket in his Italy in 2017 news update. I recommend reading that first. The Firenze Card includes all the major sites in Florence. The card activates at the first site you use it, then is active for 72 hours.

The Duomo sites, while included in the Firenze Card, do require a separate ticket. This is a little confusing, but the tourist office locations in Florence where you pick up your Firenze Card do a great job explaining where to pick up your Duomo tickets.

Quick tips: Duomo complex tickets are purchased at #7 of the Duomo piazza across from the Baptistery. Very easy. When you pick up your Duomo ticket, you can make reservations for the Dome at a kiosk in the ticket office.

Another consideration: Check out the views of Florence's historic center from the Oltrarno district. The Bardini Gardens and Boboli Gardens have great views of the historic center.

Also, make sure you go all the way up to the top floor of the recently reopened Museo dell'Opera dell Duomo. There's an outdoor terrace on top of the museum with amazing views of the cupola dome of the cathedral. A hidden treat!

Have fun in Florence!

Posted by
51 posts

YES!!!

You do NOT need the Firenze card to make reservations for the Duomo or Bell tower climbs. Simply go to the Duomo Museum website and book the times / ticket. http://en.grandemuseodelduomo.waf.it/museo_dett.php?idtour=8484

Once you book the ticket then you can reserve your times. It's a teensy weensie bit awkward on the website but you will get in done. Make sure you print all your vouchers. Really fun trifecta.

Posted by
35 posts

I'm confused about this, too. If I get a Firenze card, is it possible that I will arrive in Florence to find that all the bookings to climb the dome are reserved and there are no available openings? I don't want to pay to reserve in advance if I can book the exact same thing through the Firenze card once I arrive. Any advice appreciated!!