Please sign in to post.
Posted by
6898 posts

I have been aware of 3 cooking schools in Florence. Accidental Tourist, Divina Cocina and La Scoula de Arte Culinaria Cordon Bleu. My wife and I both took a full day class at La Scoula de Arte Culinaria Cordon Bleu CLICK HERE for the website. We both had a wonderful cooking experience there. For Divina Cucina, Judy Witts Francini is an American Ex-pat living and cooking in Florence. She is excellent and well known.

However, the classes above are a bit more pricey than the ones on the website you posted above. Recently, I captured this link for yet another cooking school in Florence with a price range similar to Intavola. CLICK HERE for the webpage.

Posted by
262 posts

I have seen that one Larry, my fear is, where is this class, it seems like this is a third party selling slots in a class

Posted by
6898 posts

Ron, you are correct. I've corrected the spelling above. Thanks.

Posted by
362 posts

Larry great to see you mention the Cordon Bleu school. They are friends of mine - and - full disclosure - we made their website (and maintain it).

We are actually just starting work on a more tourist friendly version, with more specific things set up for tourists - single day classes, wine tasting course, etc. Hopefully that will all be live in the early fall.

Posted by
30 posts

I took one recently with in tavola. It was ok, maybe 3 out of 5 stars.

There were several little kids, and they were fighting over equipment, squealing, and the chef had to keep redirecting and helping them. Thus, the rest of us were left in the cold. So the chefs, due to lack of time, quickly threw the meal together.

It was so rush rush, and little actualy hands on learning. They should have had a separate class for the kids, especially after the kids kept saying at the end how they didn't like Italian food.

Posted by
52 posts

I took an InTavola course last fall, in addition to a cooking class in Rome. (I booked it on priceline.com but you can also book on their site) InTavola was a real let down. I agree with the posting above-while it is clean, spacious and great facilities, I didn't really learn anything, they just told us what to do, and we did it..yes rushed too. Felt like a monkey in an assembly line. The price was right and I thought I would have a good experience, but not really. Il Fate Cooking classes in rome-now that was great! And cheaper too! Not that price is everything, I think you could have this same type of experience with more expensive...key is to research, just as you doing. Hope this helps. Lisa

Posted by
6898 posts

Anthony, we had a wonderful day of cooking with Christina and Gabriela at Cordon Bleu. They also have wonderful cookbooks. We bought the Pasta Italia-Italian Pasta-Region by Region book. Most excellent. I see this book on their website but the cover has changed.

Posted by
132 posts

Larry we took the class that seems to be the second one you listed. (Nov 09) Only we booked it through Viator. www.viator.com/tours/Florence/Tuscan-Cooking-Class-and-Dinner-in-Florence/d519-2428C1 We enjoyed it. It was one of our hignlights of Florence. The location is just off Via Maggio, just below the bridge. Is it Ponte Santa Trinita? As I recall our hotel was on Via de'Vecchietti. Maybe a 10 min walk back to the hotel. With a stop on the bridge for some night pictures of Ponte Vecchio. (The next bridge over.)

Posted by
52 posts

Quite any old thread this, however for those currently considering a cooking class in Florence there are now many more options. "Cook Eat Italian" in central Florence is one which focuses on Italian home cooking (rather than more fancy restaurant recipes) and one of the few which seem to stick to small class sizes.