Please sign in to post.

Florence - Car Rental

My wife and I plan on departing Florence on 1 January for Tuscany but need to get a rental car. Where is the best place to get one?

Posted by
15205 posts

I usually use a consolidator:
www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwel.com
(they are now part of the same corporate group).
They work with the major companies: Europcar, Hertz, Avis-Budget. I often end up choosing the Europcar deal, since they often have better prices once you include full no deductible insurance. However I've used the others too sometimes (check the prices for your rental period).

These are the addresses of the pick up locations in Florence (I've used them all at one time or another):
Europcar:
Borgo Ognissanti (city center)
Via Forlanini (Novoli district, between city center and airport)
Via Palagio degli Spini (Airport)

Hertz:
Via del Sansovino (Isolotto district- southwest of city center)

Avis-Budget

Picking up at the airport usually carries additional fees.

If you plan to pick up your car on Jan 1, which is a holiday, the Airport location on Via Palagio degli Spini is probably the only one open. It is possible that the Borgo Ognissanti location may be open in the morning as well. Go to the individual companies websites to check.

However your first step should go to the consolidators' websites I gave you above and check the pricing.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely go check right now. I was worried with it being a holiday & a Sunday on top of that!

Posted by
906 posts

Kevin
I rented from Ognissanti and I didn't like the experience of driving in and out of the city as you are downtown when you start. I since have rented from the airport, much easier but might be a bit more expensive.

Posted by
15205 posts

I checked the opening times on Borgo Ognissanti.
Hertz is open in the morning on Sun 1/1/2017.
Europcar is closed.
I didn't check Avis-Budget since they are always more expensive anyway.

Traffic will be non existent on Sunday 1/1/2017, and the ZTL is not operating, therefore Borgo Ognissanti would not be a problem navigating even for someone who is not familiar with Florence. However if you want to rent from Europcar, the Airport is the only location open on that day.

Not sure where you need to be when you return the car, but the return location in the city center for Europcar it's actually not on Borgo Ognissanti (where the office is when people pick up the car) but at the Garage Excelsior, on Via Palazzuolo, which is reachable without entering through the ZTL camera.