Please sign in to post.

Florence

Appreciate any feedback on my proposed itinerary for Florence in early May of next year. It'll be our first visit.

Day 1: Arrive in the morning from Rome. Take in Duomo with reservation, including top of cathedral. After a break, climb Giotto's Tower. See Piazza del Republic. Then, move on to Academia, followed by Medici Palace and chapels. Finally, San Lorenzo Market and Mercato Centrale. (Wondering if Leonardo DaVinci museum and/or interactive museum are worth a visit?)

Day 2: Uffizi Gallery early morning reservation. See Palazzo Vecchio (climb Arnolfo tower). Short visit to Bargello. Use Uffizi Passepartout ticket for Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens. One mile walk to Piazzale Michelangelo.

Day 3: Morning train to Pisa. Spend a few hours there. Take train to Lucca and have lunch there. Do Torre Guinigi climb. Then churches, museums and city walls. Return to Florence around 3 or 4.

Posted by
1043 posts

Personally, I'd skip Pisa. With only 2 days in Florence - I'd stay in Florence. Of if you want to see part of Tuscany - hit up Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca - we just found Pisa so UNDERwhelming.

Don't miss Santa Croce Basillica in Florence - it is spectacular (Michelangelo is buried there). It's actually more amazing inside than the Duomo.

Be sure to cross the famous Ponte Vecchio bridge and explore that area.

Posted by
1641 posts

A lot of things and a lot of climbing. Feeling already tired for you :-)

Posted by
89 posts

Agree--skip Pisa and go straight to Lucca. If you can, get to the Mercato before 2 as there is a lunch area just to the right of the entrance where your spouse can have (what I think) is the Porchetta sandwich in Florence-it also has a pretty varied menu of other food. It's the entrance down the street from the Baptistry.

Posted by
15868 posts

There is nothing to see on Piazza della Repubblica, unless you are interested in seeing the corner of the iconic photo “An American girl in Italy” (that would be in front of the bar “Gilli”). The Piazza was built in the 1860s as part of the gentrification of the Jewish ghetto, which was located in that area. You can see it while you walk toward Ponte Vecchio.

If you must absolutely go to Pisa and Lucca, given your short time available, you should do Lucca first, which is more interesting, then, at the end of the day trip, go to Pisa for the last couple of hours before taking your train back to Florence.