Please sign in to post.

Florence & area

Hi: I'm thinking of doing a solo trip for approx 2 weeks in Sep/10. I'm thinking that I should base myself in Florence for either 7 or 8 ngts & do day trips to Cortona, Orvieto, Siena, SG, etc. I had then planned on heading northwest - 1 ngt Lucca & 3 in 5 Terre. Does anyone have suggestions as to whether basing myself in Florence for a week is a good idea, or, should I actually move to some other towns while seeing Tuscany? I will not, ever, rent a car, so want to travel by public transit.

Posted by
1317 posts

Florence is more expensive than the surrounding area, but since you have no interest in renting a car (neither do I!), that's a good location for transportation connections.

The downsides are you miss out on the charm of the smaller towns at night, plus the higher prices in Florence. The benefits are the central location with good transportation connections, and not having to pack up and move every few days. Plus, Florence has quite a bit to see/do if there's a strike or you just don't feel like going anywhere.