Please sign in to post.

Florence and Siena

I just realized that our schedule has us arriving in Florence on Friday and departing on Tuesday which puts Sunday and Monday, when a lot of things are closed right in the middle of our stay. The current plan is to travel from Milan with a stop in Pisa on the way to Florence then several days in Siena then on to Assisi. Does it make sense to flip flop Florence and Siena or is that geographically impractical? Would a stop in Pisa still be convenient?

Posted by
247 posts

Julie, I don't really understand, are you flying into Milan and heading to Florence? If thats the case I think you could take the train to Pisa and then on to Florence. If you didn't mind a little back tracking you could take the train from Pisa (changing in Empoli)and head to Siena. From Siena you could take the bus to Florence (don't know how long of a ride) or take the train back to Empoli and continue on to Florence. So much to consider. Another thought is to head to Assisi from Siena and then train up to Florence. I can relate to your feelings, my husband and I are the same way, we just want to see and do it all. Where are you starting your trip from? Is this your first time to Italyl? What time of year? Enjoy your dream trip!!!

Posted by
166 posts

You can swap them, but you'll end up with quite a lot more travel time. Also, that would mean you'll be in Siena Fri-Mon with the same issue as Florence. There is plenty to see and do in Florence, even on Sundays and Mondays. I could spend days wandering around enjoying the architecture, people watching and good food. It really depends on what you like to do. Mathew

Posted by
304 posts

This is our first trip to Italy. We are starting in Venice, stopping in Padua on our way to Milan and ending in Rome. We will be there next October. Florence is the location that is most important to me and I don't want to short change it. I think I can make it work with Sunday and Monday but I want to explore all my options.

Posted by
653 posts

Julie, Sundays may bring slightly shorter hours for museums, but they are usually open. Mondays are not good museum days anywhere in Italy, but it's a good day to explore churches and just wander around. Are you staying in Padova, making it a day trip from Venice, or making it a stop on the way to Milan? (Be sure to reserve a ticket for the Capella Scrovegni for the Giotto frescoes!) You could make Pisa a day trip from Florence.

Posted by
396 posts

I would skip Pisa and spend as much time in Siena as possible. Fabulous city!

Posted by
61 posts

This past summer I arrived in Florence on Saurday afternoon and departed Tuesday morning. I was able to hit all the major sites even with several museums closing on Monday. The RS guidebook tells you the days each site is closed so anything that was open Monday I postponed to that date. First thing you do when you arrive is go see David. You will be in and out of that museum in an hour. Hit the Accademia on Sunday morning and then stroll over to the Pitti Palace in the afternoon. On Monday you do go to the Medici Chapels and other sites. It can be done!

Posted by
48 posts

I also just spent Saturday thru Tuesday in Florence and had a great time. On Monday I saw the Bargello, Opera di Duomo Museum, and explored the Mercator Centrale. Have fun!