Please sign in to post.

Florence airport

Does anyone have a suggestion for a meeting place at the Florence airport? Two groups arriving by plane, one by train, and we are meeting at the airport. I wondered if there is a place where people can meet, or leave messages. I see there is a TI office there.... but if someone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

Posted by
15266 posts

The airport is very small and is being rebuilt. Meet at the southwest corner near the old Partenze (departures) entrance. that is where all taxis arrive to pick up passengers. The place is so small that you won't miss each other.

Posted by
392 posts

The airport is small, so I imagine the TI is fine as a meeting place.

Posted by
316 posts

Are you going into Florence or heading out to other places from the airport?

Posted by
263 posts

We are heading out of Florence once the rendezvous is complete. We have 7 adults and two rental cars, three arrival times but one destination: Panzano; and one goal: a fun trip. My only worry is the meet up at the airport.
My guess is we will either go to the TI or the rental agency....it sounds as the airport is not one where we would get lost in the crowd.

Posted by
15266 posts

The rental agencies are offsite since construction of the new airport has started. There is a small free parking lot (first 30 min free) right in front of the old terminal (the lower building on the left, facing the airport. Park there and tell everybody to gather at the taxi stand, which is at the corner of the lower building (it still says "Partenze/Departures").

Posted by
263 posts

Thank you Roberto. Just one more question: How far off site are the rental agencies? I assume it is walkable or there is a shuttle? And thanks for all the information you have given others on their travels to Italy. I have copied a lot of your hints, websites and tips! Your inside is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
32222 posts

Terry, I was there in June, and as I recall there's a Shuttle to reach the rental agencies, so probably not "walkable". I'm not sure if you'll pass any ZTL areas leaving the airport, but Roberto will be able to advice on that. Happy travels!

Posted by
263 posts

Ken....I am actually terrified of the ZONES.......would they actually put one between the airport and the rentals???? Where do you typically see the signs? On a sign post, like a stop sign, or hidden on a light post.......I have a tendency to miss the obvious.

Posted by
15266 posts

The rental lots are close, but not really walkable distance (especially with luggage) unless you enjoy the thrill of crossing a freeway on foot. There are shuttles going there. The airport is nowhere close the ZTL. To go to Panzano, the fastest way is take the freeway A11 next to the airport toward Pisa. About 4 km from the airport (at Firenze Nord exit) take the A1 freeway in the direction of Roma (Rome). You will exit the A1 2 exits later, at FIRENZE IMPRUNETA exit. Pay toll and follow directions to Siena (first round about exit after the toll booth). You will be on another freeway (no toll). Exit at Greve in Chianti/IMPRUNETA. Follow directions to Greve, then Panzano. Or exit at SAN CASCIANO then go to Mercatale, then Panzano. Either one takes the same time. There is a shorter and faster way,instead of going all the way to Firenze Nord to catch the A1. It involves taking the Indiano Bridge expressway to the FI-Pi-LI freeway which you would take toward Pisa-Livorno for a very short stretch up to the A1 FIRENZE SCANDICCI entrance. From here take the direction to Rome for one exit to the FIRENZE IMPRUNETA exit, then follow the directions above. The first option is slightly longer but less chance of getting lost. ZTL is not an issue either way. You will not go near the historical center (ZTL land)