Please sign in to post.

Florence

We have 5 hours to spend in Florence. We are not big art enthusiasts and I am wondering if we should skip the Uffizi (of course would make reservations),and just spend the time wandering around town?

Posted by
922 posts

There's plenty to enjoy in Florence without adding to the crowds at the Uffizi, if it's not something you really want to do.

Posted by
11294 posts

Someone just asked a similar question about visiting Paris and skipping the Louvre. The unanimous consensus is, do what YOU want, not what anyone else thinks you "should" do. Particularly if you only have a short time (I'm guessing you're on a cruise), you don't have time for anything that doesn't make your personal A-list. Here's the Louvre thread: http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/106383/is-it-a-mortal-sn-to-skip-the-ouvre.html

Posted by
1888 posts

If you've never been to Florence before, then I think it's more enjoyable to just soak everything in, as much as you can in 5 short hours. Visiting the Duomo (maybe climb to the top?) Walk along the Arno, window shop at Ponte Vecchio. Do a little shopping with all the street vendors around the Mercato, or go inside for wonderful booths of veggies and olives oils and meat and fish. Go across the Arno to Pitti Palace or the Boboli gardens. Find a side street and a cafe and soak up some Italy. I'm not a big art person. While I enjoy looking at the masters, we've been in plenty of galleries. You said in your question....skip the Uffizi...wander Florence and enjoy. (I just hope it's not too hot when you are there!)

Posted by
392 posts

If you have a limited time, the Uffizi is not the best choice. Soak up atmosphere instead. If you want some art, make an appointment to go to the Accademia to see the David. You can do that in under an hour. The Uffizi is much more overwhelming. Or just hang out in Florence.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions.