Please sign in to post.

Florence

Hello!
We are staying in Rome for 4 nights. Due to cost, we opted to fly out of Florence (to London) for the next leg of our trip. Since the train ride is short from Rome to Florence, it would be doable to take prior to our 12:00pm flight. However, would it be worth going a day earlier to explore Florence just for the day and losing a night in Rome? I would book a private tour so we could see the highlights. The other option is to just stay in Rome and travel to Florence only for our flight. I want to optimize our time in Rome, but if doable and we could see some of Florence, then would consider that as well.
Thanks for any input!

Posted by
6043 posts

I'd be in Florence the night before your flight.
Yes- train ride is short but there are too many risks- possible delays/strikes, you have to get from station to airport as well.

Posted by
2109 posts

Definitely go the day before. Instead of a private tour, buy the RS guide to Florence. You won't have a lot of time in Florence. The heart of Florence is walkable. Maybe pick one, maybe two highlights you want to see, but spend the time just exploring.

Posted by
1161 posts

Florence for sure. Rome was excruciatingly crowded when we were there recently and couldn't wait to leave. Florence is a much slower pace, and an absolutely beautiful city with some very wonderful restaurants. You don't need to book a tour. It's very walkable. Just research what you would like to see. Seeing the David in person is inspiring. The Duomo is beautiful, and the market is a lot of fun. For just one night, we can recommend https://www.7florence.com/en/ It is directly across the street from the train station, and walkable to everything. Also easy to catch transport to the airport from there.

Posted by
7350 posts

I am a huge fan of Rome & often spend at least 2 weeks there, but I would go to Florence the night before your flight. Too many factors could interfere with getting to Florence for a flight. Florence is so walkable & accessible that I would just wander. I usually spend 2-4 hours at the Academia , but you can see the David in 45 minutes. I wouldn’t recommend the Uffizi for such a short trip.