Please sign in to post.

Florence

I will be spending two days and two nights in Florence next July, both of which fall on a weekend. Given this fact, how far in advance should I reserve my tickets for the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia?

Also, at the moment the only items on my Florence itinerary are the aforementioned art galleries and climbing the Duomo dome. Do any of you have other suggestions for activities in the city?

Thanks in advance! :)

Posted by
1317 posts

Eat gelato!!

It depends on how you perceive Florence, but I would be happy to just wander around the city with aforementioned gelato and enjoy the ambiance.

It also depends on whether you like a lot of the same thing (up for more art? check out the Bargello or the museum with Fra Angelico's paintings) or you prefer variety, in which case you might prefer to check out the Ponte Vecchio or the view from Piazza Michaelangelo.

Posted by
6898 posts

I would suggest that as soon as you lock in your travel dates to Florence that you make your reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia. If won't be a negative to have the reservations far in advance. We were fortunate to get both after we arrived in Florence but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

One additional museum that I would suggest is the Opera del Duomo (Duomo Museum). As you exit the Duomo tower climb, this museum is about 200 feet from the entrance to the Duomo climb. It's to the left rear of the Duomo and across the street. It contains fabulous treasures of the Duomo and baptistery from over the centuries. For us, it was better than the Uffizi.

Posted by
68 posts

Thank you both for your suggestions! Never fear, Liz, I will definitely eat plenty of gelato! ;)

Posted by
632 posts

Pitti Palace, Bobbli Gardens, Santa Maria Novella, the leather market (hey, ya gotta do some shopping) and for the ladies the original Ferragamo store and Museum....

Posted by
68 posts

Bill - Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely adding the palace and the gardens to my itinerary!

Posted by
632 posts

Check out the Santa Maria Novella...one of the really great stops in Florence (see what wikipedia has to say about it)

Posted by
68 posts

Added as well! I forgot to mention that above. Thank you! :)

Posted by
22 posts

Agree with Larry's suggestion to try out the Duomo Museum. Superb museum that is full of treasures and is rarely crowded. Wonderful masterpieces inside. Close behind for quality is the Bargello museum. Again full of great works by the masters.

We went to Florence just past mid September last year and booked our reservations for the Accademia and Uffizi the first week of July. We got the exact times and dates we wanted so it is never too early too book. We had our hotel book for us, we just e-mailed times and days we wanted and they e-mailed back confirmation to us with date and time.

The San Miniato church located just a few minutes walk away from Pizzale Michaelangelo is a faboulous church which offers a spectacular view of Florence.

Posted by
45 posts

Wandering Florence is so much fun. I went to a Egyption Archeological museum. We wanted something to do and most other things were closed that day. I would only recommend it if you are truly board. Hit the markets, go to Ponte Vecchio, and shop. Sit in a Cafe on a piazza. If you are only there for two days, I think the things you listed will give you plenty to do!

Posted by
68 posts

Thank you all for the recommendations! I will make a trip to the Bargello and Duomo museums, and will check out the view from the San Miniato Church as well!

Posted by
411 posts

San Marco--- for the wonderful Beata Angelico Frescos it's close to the Academaia so easy to add it before or after the David.

Pack a little picnic or snack and either climb or take a 12 or 13 bus to Piazza Michelangelo, enjoy the view and explore the little botanical area. From there it's but a few minute walk up to San Mineato. Enjoy your picnic or snack on the terrace wall of Florence for your back drop.

If you are Catholic there is evening prayer in San Mineato with beautiful Gregorian Chant followed by Mass. There is also a lovely gift shop there with excellent prices for post cards and some nice locally made products including marvelous honey (I'm eating some now in between typing) soaps and wines.