Please sign in to post.

Florence

Hello Hope the day finds you well. Traveling Italy in September for a couple of weeks and have question in regards to Florence. Rome for 3 nights Sorrento 4 nights (renting car for Pompeii, other towns and Coastal and trying to decide if we want to drive up to Florence. Florence 3 nights Venice 2 nights Rome for 1 day prior to catching plane home:( I've heard several say that it is their favorite city. Originally we had planned 2 nights but recently added a 3rd day. My question is this...is it worth staying that extra night? I don't feel there is much to see in Florence itself. We would go to Pisa for a day trip...to some wineries another.
Any other places you would suggest? I appreicate any feedback Lana

Posted by
1201 posts

It appears that you have a Rome/Rome arrival/departure. If you can you might want to consider an open jaw flight. Fly into Venice and then work your way to Rome for departure. If you are locked into Rome/Rome (frequent flyer miles etc.) then consider combining your Rome time at the end of your trip. So you would immediatley train to Venice on arrival, then Florence, Sorrento and then Rome. Having all the rome time tigether makes for a more efficient trip and avoids having to just burn a night at the end.

Posted by
32833 posts

Where are you going to park at Pompeii? You won't leave anything in the car, will you? Are you prepared for Neopolitan driving?

Posted by
4407 posts

"I don't feel there is much to see in Florence itself." What is the purpose of your Italian visit so we can make better suggestions? For the food/cuisine? For photography? I'm guessing not history or art... First of all, assuming you're flying into and out of Rome, I'd suggest going straight to Sorrento upon arrival. NO rental car for Pompeii. I'd add the extra day to Venice, but again I don't know what your interests are...I was going to suggest staying in Siena instead of Florence, but the transportation is better from Florence to Pisa and you're a bit closer to the wineries that I'm familiar with and there are many companies out of Florence that will take you to them. Lastly, I'd keep my 'Rome days' together and not split them up as they currently are. Unpack as few times as possible...

Posted by
32219 posts

Lana, IMO, Florence is a fantastic city and there are LOTS of sightseeing possibilities. Of course, how long to spend and what to see will depend on your interests. With only two days / three nights, my preference would be to spend the entire time in Florence and drop the day trip to Pisa (it's not worth the effort, especially when your time is so short). If you're planning to visit the Uffizi or Accademia, reservations would be a good idea! I've found that even in September, the queues can be LONG. You may get some good ideas on sights to see in Florence by having a look at the Italy 2011 Guidebook. Happy travels!

Posted by
15593 posts

If you aren't all that interested in art, sculpture and architecture, then you could skip Florence and spend time in Orvieto instead. Another option would be to spend 2 days in Verona - a lovely town an hour's train ride from Venice.

Posted by
166 posts

Totally worth it, IMHO. Take a day trip to Siena on the train. Beautiful city, lots to see, or just hang out in the Campo.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Lana - I love Florence and lived there my junior year of college and go back a lot. It has a lot of museums which Rick really promotes in his book. I particularly don't like to spend a lot of time in museums except to see the "big sights" - i.e. - David. The city has great gelato and food, wonderful back streets to explore and there is so much history that you can take in by just walking around. I would recommend to spend 2 days in Florence with a side trip up the hill to Fiesole in the afternoon. It's a very short bus ride up the hill with amazing views of Florence and the countryside(catch the bus at the train station). I would definitely skip Pisa - not worth it and driving to find the tower was a pain. Make sure to get up to Piazzale Michelangelo for the views of Florence. Sienna is a great day trip – read Rick as he gives a lot of information - I would use that as your 3rd day. Did the winery thing and was not overly impressed at the time. I would suggest to use the trains as much as possible through your trip in Italy. I've done both a lot and where you want to go does not require a car. If you want to rent a car from your itinerary – I would only rent it from Rome to Pompeii(park – be careful) and drive to Sorrento. If you can after your stay in Sorrento, leave it in Naples and take the train the rest of your trip. About the amalfi coast - i would suggest to stay in Sorrento and park the car and take the bus or boat to the other towns(Positano, Ravello, etc). Unfortunately, I had to make the drive along the coast and was so stressed out that I could not enjoy anything - leave it to the professionals.

Posted by
8 posts

Wow, thank you all so very much for your posts... Going to Italy to see as much as possible in our short time. History, art, photo ops and cuisine... It looks like Pisa may not make the cut... I do have RS book and his Italy Podcast loaded on my Ipad...and looked at Florence again...we planned on seeing all the the major attraction in town that RS lists as 3Diamonds and most likely a few of the 2's as well. I will be getting the Pocket Guides for each city to have on the trip...Don't want to carryt he IPad the entire trip. May relook at the in/out in Rome...that would allow us to add another night in Venice...What do you think about the train from Venice to Rome airport if the other couple doesn't want to fly out of Venice? As far as driving....How bad can it be...we drive in Mexico everytime we go and never have any issues...Is Neopolitan Driving, that crazy? I have heard that we shouldn't drive the Alfami...most likely will take that advise. When we do drive, we will NOT be leaving anything in the car while out exploring. I have read its a good idea to get a Local Newspaper and leave it on the dask, in hopes to steer some theives away. Thank you all again for your insights....

Posted by
32833 posts

Is Neopolitan Driving, that crazy? Yes, and no. Crazy if you are looking at it from the outside without understanding the rules. Yes if you try to drive by Texas rules. No, if you get into the mindset of a southern Italian and drive naturally like one. You remember back in the 1970s when there was the big "Drive Friendly" campaign and the slogan went onto Texas license plates and the welcome to Texas signs? That's not how they drive. South of Rome, especially in Naples and in and around the suburbs, everything you learned about driving in Rome has boosted up about 50 times. Things to remember: Do not expect a green light to mean that those who have red will stop, or in some cases, slow down. Enter traffic light or stop sign controlled intersections with great care. In many cases lane markings are advisory. If a car or motorino can fit anywhere on or near the road (I've seen passing on the sidewalk) they will. You see 2 lanes, they can fit maybe 4 or 5 vehicles. There is no question of "right of way". He with the biggest (I'll say "guts", the English would usually be more blunt) goes first. They are completely aware of who has entered an intersection first and if that person forces their way through they will be allowed to. If you hold back they WILL walk all over you. Expect cars to come from all directions at the same time, and will pass each other with millimeters to spare. Except sometimes they miscalculate. Look out for the cars (lots of them) which look like they have previously miscalculated and try to give them a bit of room. If you park on the road leave the handbrake off and out of gear. That's so they can bump back and forwards to make a parking space out of nothing.

Posted by
32833 posts

Is Neopolitan Driving, that crazy? Redux and continued Just a few km from Pompeii is the town of Castellammare di Stabie where additional ruins are, off a side road. I enjoy driving in southern Italy but have plenty of practice and drove several years in the north before trying Rome and the south. Even with all that my wife was actually screaming as I drove through the central intersection there. She was absolutely positive that my neighbor coming from the right in a really dodgy looking 600 was going to nail us when a motorino coming from in front went between us. Everybody made it through that time. >> That's a true story - no exaggeration. I was confident - my wife less so. Enjoy your trip, but you have asked and I have answered. BTW - no power on Earth could convince me to leave my car at Pompeii. It is too close to Napoli. I do not park in Napoli.

Posted by
524 posts

Lana None of the previous posters have said, do not rent a car in Rome for the trip to Sorrento and Pompeii and the Coastal Roads. But I will. Somewhere RS Books, I am sure says not to drive. to or around this area. Also getting out of Rome will probably be a nightmare. Rental car costs and gas are very high! IMHO, there is no reason to drive there at all. In fact, you can go directly to Sorrento by the fast train and then the local. Later, do a day trip to Pompeii. If I remember the previous postings, it is only 30 minutes by train or bus to Pompeii. You won't need the car in Sorrento and will pay dearly for parking. You can go to Capri by ferry following RS suggestions in RS Italy 2011. Take a bus tour on the Coastal Road and let the professionals drive it. My 21 yr old son came back and said it would be suicidal to do it yourself! And boys that age think they can do anything! Take the train from Sorrento / Naples to Florence. Bobbie

Posted by
8 posts

Bobbie,
No we had no plans to rent in Rome...we are taking the train to Sorrento and were hoping to rent car there to do the day trips out. There has been much said about not driving in these areas, so...with that, I guess we will heed everyone's advise and take trains....and a possibly a driver for the Alfami Coast. Has anyone out there ever gotten a private driver in Sorrento for the coast? I would much rather do this that taking a "tour bus". With a personal, we can have him stop where we want and not be limited to the "tour". Thanks so much

Posted by
1589 posts

Lana, give some consideration for Lucca over Pisa for your one day trip.

Posted by
201 posts

Regarding your question about hiring a private driver for the Amalfi Coast. I am visiting in October and will only have a couple days staying in Sorrento after visiting Rome. In order to fit in the Amalfi Coast, I've decided to take the train to Salerno instead of Naples and have hired a private driver to pick us up in Salerno and drive the coast and at the end of the day drop us off at our hotel in Sorrento. Although costly, it will allow us to leave early in the morning from Rome and not have to change trains. The driver will actually be giving us a full day tour of the Amalfi Coast and stop at the various towns giving us a tour as well as picking a nice restaurant for lunch. The company has been very helpful in putting together an itinerary and is quite flexible in fine-tuning to what we're looking for. www.simplyamalfi.com

Posted by
1 posts

I'm finishing up 3 days here in Florence as I write this and 2 days plus an easy 1.25 hr bus ride to Siena for the day was perfect. I didn't see everything I wanted to in Florence...it can be overwhelming and you can get antiquitied out. I couldn't imagine missing Siena...I feel I've now seen and done Florence and Venice (during this trip) but I could return to Siena for an extended stay...plus the bus ride there thru the Tuscan hill area is beautiful (well...in spring it is).

Posted by
316 posts

Oh, Lana. You broke my Michaelangelo-lovin' heart when you wrote "I don't think there's much to see in Florence itself". It's my favorite place in the world (so far). If you don't like incredible art, beautiful architecture, history, fun outdoor markets and some of the best food in Italy, you may want to cut out the extra night. If you feel you've seen all that interests you in two days, take a day trip to Lucca, Volterra or Siena. I'd also recommend taking the bus up to Fiesole in the late afternoon, climbing up to the church to view Florence and then having dinner at Pegasus. If the restaurant isn't open yet, there's a pub on the square where you can spend some time before dinner. Grab a sandwich to eat on the train at the station cafeteria. The tomato, basil and mozzarella panini is wonderful. Have a great time and hope you end up loving Florence.

Posted by
5 posts

There is not much to see in Florence itself? Then you have never been to this magical city. It will hold your heart forever. Rub the nose of the brass pig and wish to return.

Posted by
8 posts

Well obviously, there is plenty to do in Florence and did add the additional night. Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions.... 4mths and counting...can't get here soon enough Thanks again everyone.

Posted by
11 posts

How about a trip report, I'm especially interested in how the sorrento/amalfi portion of your trip went...