Please sign in to post.

Florence

We are flying into Pisa on a Wednesday night and will take the train straight to florence. We fly back out on a Sunday afternoon. We are looking at spending time in florence, tuscany region and Montepulciano. Is this doable? Should we stay in Florence and train or rent a car to the other locations or stay at each location? Also, looking for suggestions on must see and do. We are a family of 4 with older teens and we like to stay in airbnb's but not opposed to reasonable hotels. TIA!

Posted by
2487 posts

Do I count three full days? A realistic program would be to dedicate one day to some highlights of Florence, a day-trip by bus or train to Siena, and one day renting a car touring in the Tuscan countryside, including Montepulciano or another hill-town.

Posted by
51 posts

Correct 3 full days :) I know it's a push but our time is winding down and we would love to cross places off our list! Thank you

Posted by
7175 posts

With just four nights, and travelling with teens, I would not be moving accommodation once there.
Either stay centrally in Florence, or rent a car and stay countryside (making sure you choose a location with easy access to Florence by public transport). I think having a car with four of you would be best.
Thu - Florence sights
Fri - Siena (and San Gimignano perhaps)
Sat - Chianti drive to Montepulciano
Sun - Pisa in the morning before afternoon departure

Posted by
4436 posts

I would think the teens would want to be back in Florence each night so they can go out and do stuff

Posted by
7175 posts

phred makes a valid point regarding your preferences for the evenings.
You could do Siena yourself by bus/train on Friday, if you chose to stay centrally in Florence.
With 4 of you, a car/van with driver may be a cost effective option for a countryside excursion on Saturday.

Posted by
113 posts

Forget the "list" and just stay in Florence. So much to do there and why spend your time in Italy in a train/car/or ??????. Especially with teenage kids.

Posted by
51 posts

This was in November and we already traveled to Florence. We had a great time. Thank you everyone.