Please sign in to post.

Florence

Can you just walk to a window and purchase a tour @ the ACADEMIA and the UFFIZI or at any of the museums in FLORENCE?

Posted by
23290 posts

The question is not clear to me. You can walk to the ticket window and purchase a ticket for admission. However, depending on time of year, etc., line to purchase and enter can be VERY long. It is best to purchase you ticket for a specific time well in advance. Second, I don't remember seeing any tour guides standing around near the entrance offering tours. Could have been there, just don't remember see them. If looking for guided tours, we have always had very good experience with tour guides arranged through the TI.

Posted by
1994 posts

The only way you can get that flexibility (ie, immediate entry, no reservations) is by joining the Amici degli Uffizi (the Italian organization, not its US counterpart)... or, I believe, purchasing one the the Florence tourism passes that let you into multiple sites (don't know the name or details for the passes, but I did join Amici delgi Uffizi for my last trip and it was wonderful... no reservations needed and no lines... just go to the door and enter). The Uffizi membership also lets you into the other state museums (eg, Academia) without reservations or lines.

Posted by
87 posts

I have to wholeheartedly second Sherry's recommendation. The Friends of the Uffizi membership that is rarely mentioned, but we purchased them before our trip, and they were one of the best decisions we made. The value is incredible, both monetarily and time wise. We visited the Uffizi twice, the Academia once, the Pitti Palace and Boboli Gardens, and several other sites. We didn't have to make any reservations, and we could be flexible with planning our days. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Posted by
415 posts

As far as I know there are no official tours of the Accademia or the Uffizi, so you can't go to a ticket window at either and get an entrance ticket and a tour. There are audioguides available once you have purchased a ticket which is a lineup situation as others have described. If you want a tour you will have to contact a private tour company and they take care of the entrance arrangements. They might have last minute availability. I believe there is a bookstore across the street from the Accademia where I think they sell tickets and tours, but it isn't "official".

Posted by
415 posts

One addendum: The type of situation you are describing for ticket and tour is available at the Palazzo Vecchio if are interested in visiting it. Tours vary by day but they are posted on video screens around the ticket office. English tours are available.

Posted by
94 posts

We called up before we went to Italy to get our Reservations. As for tickets for these places the Uffizi there were no lines and we went right in. If you go in the middle of the week it is great. The Academic no problem the tickets are across the street. Also be aware of the vendors. Thet put their pictures on the ground and my father who is 83 stepped on the edge by accident and they pushed him. Neither to say my sister and I gave a few Italian words.

Posted by
191 posts

You need reservations for the Ufuzzi if you are going May-September. The line for tickets is very long, and you waltz right past it. We also had reservations for the Accademia, also enabling us to bypass the line. As I recall, we had to buy for a specific time. That said, I love the idea of the Friends of Uffuzi, if the price is right! Jan

Posted by
6 posts

The Florence Card does the same thing as far as getting in to the sites and it also gives you free travel on buses and trams for 72 hrs. From the time your ticket is validated not from when you purchase. If you will not need transportation then the Friends of Ufizzi would be better, especially if you may want to visit some sites more than once.

Posted by
38 posts

Thank you for the info. Do you all mind telling me where do I purchase these cards or how I can join the club? Thank You!!