Please sign in to post.

Florence in a few days, where to stay??

where do you recommend staying in the heart of Florence for 3 nights? Looking July 20 to 23.

Posted by
336 posts

Just got back, I had an appartment in Santa Croce, it was perfect.
Anything within a 10-15 minute walk from piazza della signoria will be very good I think.
It is a great city eveywhere.

Posted by
15214 posts

Anywhere in the historical center.
Oltrarno, on the southern bank of the river Arno, is slightly less crowded.

Posted by
78 posts

We are budget travelers and 3 of our four visits to Florence we've stayed a few blocks off the obnoxiously noisy via Nationale near the SMN train station on the via Faenza. I've read that this area is somewhat dodgy, but I've never thought so myself. It's within 10 minutes of the train station one way and less than that from the San Lorenzo area. Via Faenza itself is a fairly quiet street.

Posted by
15593 posts

I've also stayed on via Faenza on my 3 visits and it was fine. Great location.

Posted by
715 posts

I have never read that via Faenza area is dodgy. I have been staying at Albergo Giovanna since 1976. Great location, inexpensive, clean, basic accommodation. Via Faenza 69.

Posted by
786 posts

We stayed at Hotel Loggiato dei Serviti for three nights with our Rick Steves VFR tour in May. We were very pleased with the accommodations and service. It's a very convenient location, just a few blocks from the Duomo. We had a view of the dome from our room.

Posted by
1829 posts

Unlike a larger city like Rome, I personally don't think location matters as much for Florence.
It is so small you can easily walk to all the sites from any place in the walled city are or in the area on the other side of the Arno river, especially if staying 3 nights.

If you want to be part of the hustle and bustle stay more central around a piazza. If you want more piece and quiet the other side of the Arno can provide that but you may require a taxi from the train station and back if you have heavy luggage.

We stayed on the other side of the river up on a hill near the Piazzale Michelangelo ; great views up there. Easy to walk down into town, not as easy to walk back up, lol
We needed a parking spot for a car so it was the best option for us, without a car I probably would have stayed near to one of the piazzas like the Duomo or Santa Croce.

Posted by
7688 posts

We love the Hotel Balesteri, on the Arno close to city center. It is a very nice four star hotel and price is good.