Please sign in to post.

Flixbus vs. Train

Does anyone have experience with the Flixbus? We are traveling on Sunday, January 27 from Naples (beginning on the local train in Sorrento) to Siena and are considering this instead of the train. On the Trainline.eu site, the Flixbus is about 5 hours from Naples Central and about half the price of the trains that are longer with a connection.

Your advice is appreciated!
Karen

Posted by
5687 posts

I've taken trains in Italy, and I've taken FlixBus from Slovenia to Trieste. I don't really like buses and prefer trains when they are practical, but otherwise, my FlixBus ride was fine - a little late (nice to have the FlixBus app on your phone - you get notices about updated arrival times, etc.) but comfortable enough, for a bus. If there had been a train running at that time, I would have taken it instead, but at the time, there wasn't. If train vs. bus in general doesn't matter to you, the bus would probably be fine.

One benefit of taking a bus to Siena instead of a train is that the bus should drop you right at the edge of the old town whereas the train station is a little further from the center as I recall.

You can buy FlixBus tickets directly from the FlixBus website or their app, FYI.

Posted by
503 posts

I don't have experience with Flixbus in Italy, but this past October I used the service to travel from Nurnburg to Prague and it was very efficient. Bus was clean and on time.

Posted by
3812 posts

Sometimes you can't trust re-sellers' sites like trainline.eu: If you pick the right departure time, going by Trenitalia train takes 4:38 .

I bet Flixbus is cheaper, but There are some discounted SuperEconomy fares left: 49.9 € pp from Naples to Siena.
Note that You can probably pay less using Italo trains from Naples to Florence and then either a Regionale train or a bus to Siena.

Posted by
3160 posts

I took Flixbus from VCE to Trieste in September. Tickets were very inexpensive purchased on line in advance, bus was on time and ride was uneventful. I’d use Flixbus again.

Posted by
1386 posts

Last spring we took the Flixbus between Rome and Siena. It was easy, clean, pleasant, and we didn't have the bother of changing trains in Florence or of having to keep an eye on our suitcases. We did use the app.

The Flixbus stop in Siena is at the train station at the bottom of the hill, but you can either take a taxi from there or cross the street into a shopping mall and ride a LONG, actually kind of fun, series of escalators to the top, walk a few blocks to one of the old city gates, and you are at the edge of the historic district on a nice pedestrian-only street.

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! We decided to give the Flixbus a try. I downloaded the app and like that we can check on where the bus is. I appreciate all your advice!