Please sign in to post.

flights to Italy July 2011

Anyone have any reasonably inexpensive ways to get from San Francisco to Venice and then returning from Rome? I understand Ryanair is cheap for inside Europe travel. Would be willing to fly to Ireland if that's the cheapest. There will be 3 of us and we will be there from July 8/9 to the 23rd. No flexibility on dates as the Rome part is for business.

Posted by
247 posts

Sarah, I check on Vayama, seems high to me but I've never traveled from San Francisco plus the fact of being high season. July 8-23 is $1629. My tickets for April (purchased in June) for $776. My point is don't wait for the 3 or 4 months before, I've just seen my price go up-even if it dropped, it was never as low as my earliest booking. Yesterday I did see a drop, but again not to the lowest price. Good Luck

Posted by
2876 posts

Open jaw SFO > VCE, FCO > SFO on your dates of travel is down to $1248. this morning on Expedia. The only problem with Ryanair is that they often fly to secondary airports, and their checked baggage fees are substantial if you exceed their weight limits. The price you wind up paying can be quite a bit more than their advertised ticket price. You should take these factors into account when you make your price comparisons.

Posted by
1018 posts

You might need to check daily for fares and when you find a price you can live with buy it. After you buy it do not look back because the price may go down and you will drive yourself crazy. You could also look at flying into a nearby city in Italy. Also terms like reasonable are nebulous and mean different things to different people. Use specific dollar/euro amounts when posting a question. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
348 posts

I checked briefly for you. Swiss air is 1407 round trip. I checked through ireland and it is about 230 round trip ireland to italy but could not find great rates to get to Ireland. So your choice would be do I book now or do I wait to see if rates are going to go down inabout 6 weeks for June/July. Your risk is rates may go up but by how much or if the rates dont go up too much they may go down a couple hundred. I will look more later

Posted by
2876 posts

When you're looking at high-season flights (July) to very popular destinations (like Italy), remember that ticket prices go up and down, but the number of available seats on your travel dates ALWAYS goes down. It's usually best to just go ahead and book your tickets once your travel dates are set.

Posted by
81 posts

Thank you all for your replies. Especially helpful to hear about Ryanair. I am hoping to stay as much under $1400 as I can.