Please sign in to post.

Flights to Italy ~ Dec. 2010 to Jan. 2011

Hi, I want to visit Italy during the second half of December (Dec. 13/14, 2010) to the beginning of January (Jan. 11/12, 2011) but whenever I put in the dates on different travel sites, it tells me that there is nothing on those dates. Is it too early to start looking? I tried Kayak and I'm getting quotes for different airlines. However, they are not as cheap as I thought they might be. I thought that if I start now, I may be able to find something cheaper ~ under $800. Also, are there any good Canadian travel sites that you can recommend? Thanks. P.S. I was thinking of flying into Rome (from Toronto Pearson) and out of Naples airport on my departure flight. Is the airport in Naples easy to navigate or would you recommend an alternate? I want to spend some time in Rome, visit family nearby and then travel to Sorrento to visit a friend I met last year. Naples is close to Sorrento so I figured that it would be easier.

Posted by
306 posts

It is not too early to book flights during that time period. However, I don't think you will find something for under $800. These days if you can find roundtrip airfare for less than $900-$1000 it is a good deal. I just checked expedia and you can fly roundtrip to Rome from Toronto for $877. That is a pretty good deal, but I bet if you watch the fares on a daily basis it will go down a little bit more. I would immediately purchase a fare if you see it go below $800. Good luck. Oh yea and remember flights are cheaper if you fly midweek and avoid flying on Friday and Sundays.

Posted by
348 posts

Exactly correct. Air rates are definitely up this year. KAyak is a great way to check. I will check a couple other sites and get back. I imagine it will be cheaper to fly back through Rome but you never know

Posted by
55 posts

Hi, Thanks for your help. I know that flying during mid-week is cheaper. For both of my trips (Aug-Nov'09) and (May-June'10), I flew out on a Tuesday and returned on a Thursday. The first time, I flew into Lamezia Terme and out of Rome. The second time, I flew into Birmingham airport in England, and out of Lamezia Terme. I traveled with a friend in England and then we went to Italy. Someone mentioned on another site that December and January are the most expensive months to travel but I thought the summer was the most expensive time to travel. I read that prices drop in the winter season and there are less tourists so why would it be more expensive to travel during November, December or January? I'm a bit confused. Also, I went through Expedia.ca the first time but I didn't like not being able to deal with a travel agent. I found that I ended up paying more when going through Expedia because I had to contact the airline (Air France) when I wanted to change my dates and departure airport. When I traveled this year and changed something, I paid $70 Cdn. instead of over $200-300 Cdn. for a change. Question: Would you use a travel agent who will match a great quote on Expedia or Kayak? On average, how much commission does a travel agent take?

Posted by
306 posts

December is expensive because there is some Christian holiday that month. I can't remember what it is....