Please sign in to post.

Flights to Italy Help

Thank you everyone for all your help.
With the great information posted here, I was able to book my first overseas flight and feel confident I knew what I was doing. - Again, Thank you!

I'm trying to book my flights for my Best of Venice, Florence and Rome trip. This is my first time out of the U.S. and Amex Travel is no help.

I don't know what time of day is the best time to be flying. I would appreciate any suggestions, tips and any 'do or don't do' tips. -- I would be flying out of New Orleans.

Thank you!

Correction - I live in New Orleans and haven't booked my flight yet and don't know what city to depart the U.S. from.

Posted by
746 posts

I have no idea what time of day is best for travel. When I book international flights from Denver I look at pricing and where they connect (i.e, JFK, Newark, etc.). Some airports are a lot better than others for connections. You also need to look at connection times because sometimes the airlines will offer unrealistic times. Flying out of New Orleans might not be the best place when searching for international travel; you might need to fly to somewhere like Atlanta first, which will give you a lot of choices with airlines and destinations.

One tip-- plan to arrive at least one day or even two before your tour starts. Contact the first hotel and tell them you are with the RS tour and ask them to book you in the same room.

There are a lot of discussions on this forum about planning international travel. On the Travel Forum home page look for the category titled Tips and Trip Reports.

When are you going on the tour?

Posted by
2540 posts

Do a search on Google flights to see your options. Use multi city not round trip - into Venice and out of Rome. Do not book with a consolidator but with the airline itself.

Posted by
10 posts

Correction - I live in New Orleans and haven't booked my flight yet and don't know what city to depart the U.S. from.

Posted by
264 posts

Based on your prior post about trains from Milan to Venice, I assume you plan to fly into Milan. I don’t see any direct flights from New Orleans to Milan, so I think a Delta connection in Atlanta will be your best routing. Almost all flights from US east coast to Europe depart late afternoon or early evening and arrive next day early to mid morning. I always allow at least 3 hours for connection to transatlantic flight and I try to arrive in Europe late morning so my hotel will likely be ready when I get there. If you fly into Milan MXP, you can easily take the Malpensa Express train into the city. RS Italy guidebook has several hotel suggestions for your stay in Milan.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you Simpgolf, this is great information you gave me to work with.

Posted by
236 posts

Delta has a non stop from Atlanta to Venice and from Rome to Atlanta. I would look at Delta as they have several flights a day out of New Orleans. Fly New Orleans to Atlanta to Venice the Rome to Atlanta to New Orleans all on one ticket. Personally if this is your first time flying to Europe I would leave several hours to make your connection in Atlanta. Better to sit and wait then to miss your flight. There are 2 flights a day Atlanta to Venice and Rome to Atlanta which gives you options (at least in the summer).

Posted by
211 posts

VFR is an excellent RST choice, hope whenever this trip is you have a fabulous experience. Checking with a flight aggregator such as Google Flights, Skyscanner or Kayak, opting for multi-city and plugging in your airport code (MSY) and your destination airport code (MXP for Milan Malpensa or VCE for Venice) with your dates will be a good starting point. Inbound, my preference is for late afternoon / early evening departure with minimum 2.5 hr international layover time on a 1-stop flight in at least premium economy seating. I check aircraft type and look for Airbus jets with 2-4-2 seating and choose seats in the 2-seat row. Outbound on your return home enter FCO, Rome's airport code and I would want an early AM departure time (tho not the very earliest) and again the minimum 2.5 hr international layover 1-stop flight. When searching in advance I set alerts for pricing and when comfortable with cost, make my purchase. I will carry-on (plus my personal bag) heading to and will check luggage on the return with olive oil and wine bottles nestled within my soft goods. I have good and bad experiences with all of the major carriers and the international airports they use and so prepare for the worst and hope for the best. My personal bag will have 1 change of undies, liquids, all documents, meds, valuables, electronics and snacks. During layover on the way to Europe, I spend my transfer time performing self care / personal grooming. Once I land, I most often choose official taxi as my transportation to my accommodation.

Posted by
1215 posts

I live in New Orleans and have flown to Italy many times. There are no direct flights, but plenty of flights that require one connection. I often fly United and connect at Dulles (Wash DC) or Newark. Be sure to book a connection that gives you at least two hours in your connecting airport. If you go on the Google flights website, you can put in MSY-ROM and MSY-VCE to see the possibilities. Then, already mentioned, do be sure to book directly on the airline’s website. Yes, if you choose the “multiple city”’option when looking at flights you can see the possibilities for flying into Venice and out of Rome. I am looking to book to Italy sometime in March or April next year and even though my travels will start (again) in Venice and end in Rome, I will likely book round trip into Rome and take a train to Venice because all flights I’m seeing MSY-VCE require two connections, one on east coast and one in Europe (often Germany). I prefer one airline connection to get to Italy and taking the four hour train on from Rome to Venice. I buy lunch in the Roma Termini train station and then relax on the train enjoying the views of Italian countryside. I also prefer arriving in Venice train station (steps from the vaporetto stop on Grand Canal) to arriving Venice airport (25” bus to vaporetto stop). If you would like more New Orleans-to-Italy conversation, send me a private message here and I’ll be glad to answer other questions. Edit:’just realized that you are hoping to fly into Milan. My suggestions still apply re connections from Nola, etc.

Posted by
11747 posts

A quick search found these options for MSY-MXP; FCO-MSY

Delta- via Atlanta

UAL- via Chicago ( in addition to Newark or DC already mentioned)

AA -- via Charlotte ( the FCO-MSY return was usually via DFW)

BA -- via London ( for the random dates I chose BA was 25-30% higher cost) Depending on your dates you may get different results

Posted by
14605 posts

IF you can fly directly from Atlanta to Venice as mentioned upthread by sdw , I'd do that Delta flight. I've done the Rome to Atlanta flight and while it is long it is pretty darn easy!

Since you have not booked yet, I'd also go in 1-2 days ahead of your tour start. There is PLENTY to do in Venice to keep you occupied, lol!! Give yourself some flex time in case of travel hiccups!

Posted by
686 posts

Great information given by others. Please note that booking directly with the airlines provides you the most flight options and protection.

Posted by
17253 posts

I think the most important points are: flights with a single connection in each direction, with a good layover time like 2-2.5 hours. Book multi-city for flying into Milan (or Venice) and out from Rome. We much prefer departing our home airport in the evening (ideally between 5-8 pm) and arriving the next day in the afternoon, in time to check in to our hotel. Your return flight will depart Rome in the morning and will be an all-daytime flight due to the direction of flight—-you are “following the sun”.

You do not say when your trip is, but if after August 31 I don’t think British Airways is an option, as their September schedule shows no more direct flights from New Orleans to London. BA is not a great option anyway, as their flight departure is quite late—-around 10 pm. That is an inconvenient time to depart, and makes for a very late arrival into your destination as well.

Posted by
18 posts

I agree with everyone above on the longer connection timing (especially in return, sometimes the wait to come back through customs/re-check-in is insane in DC and NYC, so those connections get tenuous. ATL is decent).

We usually fly Delta from Savannah thru Atlanta to Rome (or Milan). So far, round trips have been cheaper than multi-city for us, but the express train system in Italy is superb for fast returns (a bit expensive, but the earlier you book, the better the price, being aware that they sometimes don't open up ticket timeframes until closer to travel).

We like flying "overnight" (sleeping it) and arriving mid-morning in Italy. Most hotels let you drop your bags off, and the best way to dodge jet lag is to get out and walk as much as possible in the sun. So far we've never felt it.

Posted by
7057 posts

being aware that they sometimes don't open up ticket timeframes until
closer to travel).

Train schedules are released twice a year- around June 11 and around December 11.
If your travel is close to those dates you will have to wait- although they usually load some fast trains before the scheduled date.

You can alway look at schedules now to see what your options might be. Just look at same day of week- the schedules don't change much.

It's always wise to wait til you land to purchase your train ticket. Flight delays happen, passport control can take time, baggage can be delayed.
If you purchase in advance to get a discount then miss that particular train you are out the money and end up buying a same day ticket at Base Rate. Be sure you are fine with the possibility losing the money you spent.

If you wait til you land you are purchasing a same day ticket- Base Rate.

Posted by
3 posts

Just remember that you must be at the airport 3 hrs before international flights and some airports will not let you on an international flight if you have not checked in 75 minutes or more before the flight.
I had researched taking this same tour and many of my options were out of Atlanta and they go directly to Venice (your first city of this tour). So there are a variety of choices that allow you to sleep on the flight directly to Venice.
In booking the return flight, your options may be more difficult since you'll want to pay close attention to their arrival in the US. You will be going through customs when you are tired and you'll still have a connecting flight needed to get you to New Orleans. It helps if you have someone you know pick you up but still, you'll want to make sure it is convenient for them too, versus the middle of the night which is what some of the flights will offer.
Since it is your first time, you might not be comfortable booking a round trip out of Rome since you'd have to have another form of transportation by train to Venice and then have a taxi to the hotel when you arrive and you are overtired from the overseas flight. Check on Google to see what kind of options there are by first looking at roundtrip out of Rome to see times & prices & decide if you want to handle a train trip after the long flight to get to Venice:
Flight out: MSY (New Orleans International Airport code) to FCO (Rome's airport code)
Return Flight: FCO to MSY

Next check the flights that go directly to both your start and stop cities by not choosing the roundtrip or single trip but the multi-city option. As a novice flying overseas and alone you may just wish to go directly to your specific cities:
Flight out:VEN (Venice's airport code) to MSY
Return Flight: FCO to MSY

If you are not seeing good options that get you what you want, you could just see what the best flight options are out of Atlanta for going and returning and book your New Orleans flight separate but you should be able to do this as one trip multi-city.

Some of these airports on return flights out of Italy have 6 AM as a choice. Think about if you need to be at the airport 3 hours in advance, now add the time it will take you to get there, you will be leaving your hotel very early (in the middle of the night). You might want to keep that in mind. There are very few flights that have a decent leaving and returning time since that later in the morning or afternoon you leave, the later it gets in the US so keep that in mind, too. Best wishes. It might be a good idea to connect with the gal from your city that offered her expertise since she's flown out of your city in the past. Best wishes.

Posted by
11747 posts

Flight out:VEN (Venice's airport code) to MSY

That is WRONG

VCE is the code for Venice Marco Polo airport