Please sign in to post.

fishing

has any one ever fished on the tiber river in italy and if so where can i purchase a fishing licence in the area? please respond

Posted by
15041 posts

I did some quick research online. It is possible to get a 15 day license, but I think you have to start the process early because it takes a few days to go through the red tape hoops. The cost is about 30 euros and you need to have an application form completed with 2 photographs and proof of payment. It takes about 10 days to obtain it. If you want to go through it, let me know and I will do some research when I have more time. I noticed all the info is in Italian. You must be really fond of fishing to want to fish in the nasty Tiber in Rome. Are you really going to eat that fish afterwards?

Posted by
791 posts

I'm an avid fly fisherman and I can tell you that, like everything else in Italy, it can be a complicated and expensive process. I'll preface my remarks by saying that I have only fished here in the Veneto region where I live and know nothing about whether the rules are the same in the Lazio region but I'd assume there are similarities. Keep in mind that it might not be as easy as just getting a fishing license - here in the Veneto, my basic license only allows me to fish in "acqua libero", free water. And there is almost no free water anywhere. In addition to the regular license, I have to get special permits to fish in the various lakes and rivers and some rivers have different rules and regulations for different sections. To give you an idea how crazy it can be here, consider that I pay an annual fee of 100 euros for a book of permits that allows me to fish the nearby Brenta River (on top of my regular license). In the application form, they want to know stuff like - and I swear, I am not making this up - my political affiliation and if I'm a homosexual. So I would recommend searching for the association that governs access to the Tiber and start there.

Posted by
15041 posts

"Foreign and Italians citizens residing abroad can fish only after the payment of the amount of € 29.12 to postal account no. 51547008, in the name of the Provincia di Roma – Servizio Caccia e Pesca (Province of Rome – Hunting and Fishing Department Department). When fishing those concerned should bring the receipt of the payment and their passport or other valid document with them to verify their residence abroad. The payment above permits
fishing for three months.". http://www.provincia.roma.it/sites/default/files/carta_ittica_ENG.pdf Heterosexual orientation not required to fish in Rome (amazing considering the Vatican is there).

Posted by
791 posts

That's good info Roberto but again I would caution that it might not be as easy as simply getting a license. A lot of the rivers in Italy have different rules regulations for each section and not following them could result in a hefty fine. In the Brenta, taking a temolo (grayling) out of season could net you a fine of close to 1,000 euros for example. Some sections might be artificial hooks only, other sections might be catch and release only ("Zona No Kill"). They might also have trophy zones ("Zona Tropheo") where the fish must be minimum lengths to keep, etc. I know the rivers up here are like that and it's confusing even for my Italian friends, let alone an American.