Please sign in to post.

First visit to Italy in May 2015 - Where to go??

It's my first time to Italy and my husband's first time to Europe! We have 9-10 nights, and we both love amazing scenery and quaint towns. History, not so much :)
We have a few options we were thinking of (for 2 or 3 nights each). Cinque Terre, Venice, Verona, the Alps (either Switzerland/Jungfraujoch area, Dolomites, or Austria).
Any advice or recommendations, based on going in May? I'm a landscape photographer, so love vistas, beautifuly scenery, etc.
I've heard pluses and minuses about Cinque Terre and Venice...... (crowded, dirty(Venice)), so didn't know how much was true.
Also, I wasn't sure how the weather will be in May in Switzerland.
Thanks!!!! We're so excited :)

Posted by
2447 posts

Can't miss Venice! The beautiful vistas are there, plus, you might find yourself becoming an architectural detail photographer... Sure, there are crowded areas, but they are easy to escape. I was there in June, and the canals smelled just fine. As a photographer, you'd be sure to enjoy the absence of cars.

Posted by
667 posts

Though I have not been myself, if you like scenery, I bet you could spend 9-10 days around Venice, Verona, and the Dolomites, maybe even a lake or 2......

Posted by
4802 posts

Theresa, Venice may have some crowded areas during the day, but what tourist spot doesn't? It is easy peasy to escape the crowds -- just walk a few blocks of the beaten paths. It isn't dirty nor smelly. If it were we wouldn't continue to return. Truly a great city not to be missed. The CT suffers from the same bad rap as Venice. It is a super place. Just don't try to cram too much into short time. Europe needs to be savored, not gulped. TC

Posted by
882 posts

9-10 days on the ground or including travel to and from the US? Start in Venice - not to be missed! It is not dirty but it is showing its age. Still one of my favourite cities for walking in. Lots of photographic opportunities - the vistas from the bridges of the Grand Canal - wow! Yes it is crowded in places - May might not be as bad but you can get away from the crowds very easily. Use Venice as your base for day trips (Verona, Padua) or touring Venice's surrounding islands. You don't have that long in Italy: to get to Cinque Terra from Venice will cost you a good part of a day. I have to say I am one of those who was not overly impressed by the CT - the scenery is stunning and the towns are quaint but for me it just didn't live up to its hype. Getting from Venice to Switzerland will also take the best part of a day - leave it for your next trip! I'd stick to the Dolomites if you want mountains. A relatively easy train ride from Venice (or would you drive?) stunning scenery and as much of the area use to be part of Austria you will get that Alpine feel. Have a look at the city of Merano for an idea of a place to stay.

So how about 5 days Venice doing some day trips by train (the Italian rail service is stellar unless they are on strike, but they do give a few days warning of impending strikes so you are prepared!), visiting the Islands like Burano and Merano and then 4 days in the Dolomites? Italy is a country to be enjoyed and savoured not rushed.

Posted by
7737 posts

You really should go to Venice since you're a photographer. I created this album of photos I took (most of them in May of different years) to illustrate the point made above about getting away from the crowds:
Uncrowded Venice

Verona is also wonderful. Here's an album of highlights of photos I've taken there, also in May: Verona highlights

One of the great things about going in May is that a lot of flowers are blooming. Early May will give you wisteria and mid May bougainvillea. Examples: Wisteria in Bergamo in early May, Bougainvillea near Pantheon in Rome

One thing I see missing from your itinerary is a hilltop town in Italy. There are wonderful photos to be had from those. My favorites have been Assisi, Orvieto, and Bergamo, but there are many, many more to choose from.

Happy travels.

Posted by
15579 posts

I'm rather against too many day trips to other towns because most of them are at their best in the evenings. I'm undoubtedly in the minority here, but I think the Cinque Terre are overrated, especially on a 9-10 night trip, it's a time-consuming journey there and back again.

For great photos in Venice, get up very early and go to St. Mark's Square (aka the Piazza) and watch the sun rise over the lagoon. Venice is magical at first light. Verona has lots of interesting sights and is even better after dinnertime. . . worth an overnight.

Posted by
5202 posts

We were in northern Italy last month & took a day trip to Lake Garda from Verona & visited the cities on the lower lake (Garda, Bardolino & Lazise) & wished we'd have had more time to travel to the northern part of the lake....

Here is part of Roberto's reply to my post a couple of months ago regarding Lake Garda:

To me the most beautiful part of lake Garda is the north lake. However Sirmione in the south is a must see village. My favorite town in the north lake is Limone (western shore), however since you will be staying in Verona, the Veneto side of the lake (Eastern Shore) is more easily accessible from Verona (which is on the same side of the lake), therefore the best towns that are easily accessible from Verona are Malcesine and Riva (Torri, Garda and Bardolino too). You will love both of them and from Malcesine you can take a boat across to Limone, which is also a gem.

If you're flying out of Milan, you may also consider visiting beautiful Lake Como (Varenna/ Bellagio) or Lake Maggiore( Stresa/ Arona)

1. What airports are you flying into & out of?
  2. Have you considered traveling into Tuscany/Umbria?

Happy planning!

Posted by
3696 posts

If you love vistas and want to photograph landscapes you should try to spend time in the countryside in Tuscany and have a car, otherwise I think you might be disappointed in your photo opportunities. I am a professional photographer and have found a car to be vital to get me to the locations I want to photograph as well as being there at the right time of day. I would not skip Venice, but as has already been mentioned you need to get up before dawn to be able to photograph the city in beautiful light with few people.

Posted by
16893 posts

It is easy to escape the crowds of Venice by walking just a couple of blocks off the main San Marco-Rialto tourist path, an photo ops are even better when you do. Venice is not particularly dirty.