Please sign in to post.

First Trip: What we Learned

1. The trains are wonderful. Clean, efficient, fast, and ticket-buying is super-easy.
  2. Bread is served at most restaurants, but you have to ask for butter.
  3. You don’t need an abundance of clothes. For our next trip I’ll take two pairs of pants, 3 shirts, and some scarves that will all coordinate.
  4. It is possible to find laundromats to wash clothes.
  5. Driving is not the fearsome feat we envisioned. Road signs are fairly easy to interpret and if you do your homework ahead of time, you’ll be fine.
  6. Airports are huge and require a lot of walking to make connections.
  7. Sometimes airplanes are late, which make it hard to make connections on time (see # 6)
  8. The walking in hill towns in Italy is mostly uphill. Hill towns=uphill.
  9. Even if a gate agent at the train station tells you you don’t need to validate your ticket, don’t take his word for it. Or you’ll be answering to the man on the train with the hat (the conductor).
  10. Many of the showers are VERY small. Be prepared.
  11. Iced tea will be bottled tea with flavoring. Water is available either bubbly (like sparkling water) or flat (like tap water) and both come served in beautiful bottles and are priced accordingly. (Usually 1,6 € if I remember correctly).
  12. Make sure you have a working cell phone with internet, or buy a phone there. Our only glitch came from not being able to make a call when we needed to.

The Italian people are friendly and accommodating.

Italy is as beautiful as everything the guide books and friends say it is, and more. History surrounds you on every corner.
We wish we had not waited so long to see this beautiful gem of the Mediterranean.

We celebrated our 50th anniversary there this year, and thought it would be our only trip. But we’re planning to go again in 2019 and every year we can until we aren’t able to go anymore.

Posted by
7326 posts

Thanks for posting, and #8 is SO true - ha!

Italy gets into your heart and never lets go! Have fun planning next year’s trip and enjoying memories of this one! And happy 50th Anniversary!

Posted by
1166 posts

Go back to Europe every year until you are unable to !

That is is our goal too.....

Posted by
2118 posts

Great report! I’m so glad you had a good time. Maybe we’ll bump into you over there next year!

Posted by
723 posts

Re 11, I never even thought to ask for tea at a restaurant that wasn't hot in Italy.....hmm interesante.....I know they have it in bottles....

Re 12, I think I am going to pick up a Vodafone (or TIM) sim again and put it in my $17 Wal Mart phone I used last time (for just apartment host calls and such) and just use my smartphone at my lodging (or offline maps haha) and see how I do.....I mean, I lived there for 2 years, and people traveled for years before smartphones, so I think I should be able to navigate myself again! (I think I am getting a complex reading about how people HAD to use their phones to get around haha, I have good streetwise maps too!)

Posted by
469 posts

Thanks for the great post! Where did you go on your trip ?

Posted by
336 posts

Nice post.
We started 13 years ago for my 40th birthday, fell in love with Europe, it's history, culture, food, people.
We've been going every year ever since! and some years, 2 trips! :-)
4 times to France, 5 to Italy, Greece, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Spain 3 times, etc.
Next summer will be Poland and Czech Republic.
After all those trips, I'm as passionnate as for my first one. Love to discover new grounds, new history and get to know new people
As I say to people around me when they ask why the hell do I spend so much money in traveling, my answer is always
You like to buy a new car, new tv, I like to buy myself memories.
Enjoy the next 15 trips!
Claude

Posted by
75 posts

My first time in Italy was in 1992. I've not been able to get enough of it yet!
I'm always thinking about going back, even when I've just returned home.

Posted by
672 posts

Skip the butter; dip that wonderful bread in olive oil next trip. Healthier also (monounsaturated fat).

Posted by
24 posts

In answer to SA, we spent two nights in Rome, one in Naples, 2 in Chiusi (Tuscany- and toured that wonderful, beautiful countryside), then three in Riomaggiore (in Cinque Terre, also beautiful beyond belief-wild, scenic, and not as crowded as we had thought it would be) then took the train from CT back to Rome and spent two more nights in Rome. I think our trip was pretty well-paced for people of our age, but would have been a lot better if my husband had not had to deal with a bad knee (especially on the night that our train was late to Chiusi, which meant we were late to our lodging at Montepulciano, plus the shuttle into Montepulciano had quit running and we had to walk UP UP UP into the town and through the town to our camere which was on the far side of town, only to discover that the proprietor had given up on us at 7:00 PM (a sweet young lady sitting on the curb called her for us and she said she'd be back in an hour) SOOOOO we walked the opposite way down the one-way street hoping the proprietor would recognize two Americans hauling their bags in the dark and cold as she was returning, but although several cars passed us, no one stopped so we ended up walking all the way back to the TI and picking up our rental car). We did find a corner cafe open and were able to get dinner and we ended up staying at the Hotel Granducato, and our money was refunded by the proprietor, but friends please refer to #12 above. Had we had a working cell phone with internet, this unfortunate experience could have been avoided. So we learned a lot, and gained a good story to tell!
I planned the entire trip from start to finish and we flew solo and survived. Thankfully the Montepulciano fiasco was the only glitch!

Posted by
7737 posts

I love Dario's comment about the butter. My advice: Skip not only the butter but the bread also. Save room for the real food. (Plus, I've seen restaurants in Italy that recycle the unused bread from one table by dumping it into a basket for the next table. No thanks.)

Posted by
367 posts

Congrats on 50 years! Here's to many more years of travelling together.

Posted by
1949 posts

I've learned to look--hard--in between the attractions. In a place like Rome, a little bit of advance research goes a long way to finding scores of hidden gems, most times without crowds to battle. And when you find them, it's like they've been discovered all over again and you want to shout to everybody, 'Look at this!'

There are entire towns that you can reach by train, bus or car in Italy that seem almost untouched, especially in off-season, and you can't believe they haven't been written about & expounded upon. Just because it's not in Lonely Planet or notated on TripAdvisor (or RS hasn't told us about it!) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Our departed friend Zoe was an expert at this. Seek these places out--I've done it a little and plan to do more on every subsequent trip in the future.

Posted by
104 posts

Congratulations on your anniversary!!!

Yes, having a phone is important ... even if you never need to use it. Having the peace of mind that you can make a call to the place you are staying or the place you want to stay in .... Priceless.

And I agree with the tip to see the hidden gems. Ask the restaurant owner/proprietor, the gelato shop, and the bartender. One of my favorite experiences to tell about happened in Caprarola which was on my Farnese family list of palazzos to see. It is a small town that climbs up the hill to the palazzo. My "lunch buddy" and I had driven from Orvieto to see the palazzo and have lunch. He and I had this cosmic ability to pick an alley and head down to discover the small "foodie" places to eat. On this afternoon we ducked into a small restaurant where the owner greeted us warmly and suggested a 3 course menu which we gladly accepted. We chatted with him while waiting in between courses.

We asked if there was anything in Caprarola that we should see that maybe most tourists don't have on the agenda. He described a very small church that had famous relics that was down from his restaurant, through a low stone arch at the end of that alley. He explained that we would need to ask for the key at the Gelato shop. Since I had Jake, my wonderful dog with me, we agreed we would take turns going into the church. But alas, the Gelato shop was closed. My friend shrugged and started walking away. Not me. I went into the electronics shop next door and asked bout the key. Voila! The biggest iron key I've ever seen!

We approached a very nondescript stone facade with big huge wooden arched doors and iron fittings. The key turned easily and I got the thrill of slowly opening the door. This was one of the most jaw dropping churches either of us had ever seen. No one was around so I brought Jake inside and kept him in the vestibule while my friend explored. I finally couldn't wait and Jake and I started up the aisle on the far right. There were so many niches with relics!!! Stories of sainthood. Stories of battles. And then I happened to look up and was amazed at the ceiling. There were the usual frescoes but there were also life size carvings of saints! I went to the center aisle and laid down to get a photo of the ceiling. My friend asked me what in the world I was doing and I simply pointed up. Amazing. The ancient pulpit was intricately carved and the altar had shimmering gold inlay. The pipes of an ancient organ were visible behind the altar. It was one of those unforgettable experiences. I doubt many Americans have ever set foot in that sweet church. If you ever get the chance, ask for the key at the Gelato shop!!!