Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Italy Questions

I'm excited to be planning my first trip to Italy in mid-October. I’m going solo and have a total of 8 nights. I’m flying into Florence and out of Rome. I know I’ll at least do Florence & Rome, but really want to do Venice too if it wouldn’t be too much of a whirlwind?

First question…assuming I’m going to Venice, would you recommend going straight there after landing in Florence on Friday afternoon, or just do Florence first, then Venice, then Rome… seems like all the itineraries I see have the same Venice - Florence - Rome order. (I know ideally I’d fly into Venice and out of Rome, but the deal flying into Florence for my dates was significantly better).

Second question…have you found the train travel between cities pretty easy? Could I plan on getting up early, getting on a morning train, and being in the next city by noon… or would it take up more of the day? My Florence and Rome hotels would be short walks from the train stations.

If I visit all three cities, I’m thinking I’d do 3 nights Venice, 2 nights Florence, and 3 nights Rome. My flight out of Rome isn’t until 8:45 pm so I’d have a good part of that last day there. I know I could spend weeks in each city, but this would just give me a nice look at each. Has anyone done all in 8 nights or fewer, and would you recommend for/against? I’m very go-with-the-flow and I’d basically follow Rick’s recommended 2-3 day plans for each place.

Posted by
11455 posts

I think your 3-2-3 plan is fine. If you are landing in Florence quite early in the day, why not go immediately to Venice? There are plenty of daily trains. Just don't make a reservation and buy a ticket until you are on the ground in case your flight is delayed.

Train travel between the cities is incredibly easy. Be sure you are booking the highspeed trains for the best experience on Trenitalia https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html or the other service, Italo https://www.italotreno.com/en. You can easily book Venice to Florence and Florence to Rome once you are on the Ground and get some discounts on those segments.

Yes, you can get an early train and be in the next city by Noon-ish. Check the schedules on the train sites. Note you need to use Italian spellings, i.e., Venezia S.L. is the main station in Venice.

DO you have Rick Steve's Italy guide book? Invaluable on logistics like how to take the train...

Posted by
11404 posts

Train travel:
Florence to Venice 2.25 hrs
Venice to Rome 4 hrs

If you can get the hotel to hold your bags until check in, then arriving early is a viable plan. Otherwise you are either encumbered or spending time putting them into and retrieving them from a storage facility.

Whether you should stick to 2 or stretch to 3 places depends on what you have on your list of 'must do' at each location.
You decide what works for you.

If you are happy with just a 'sample' of each place then its just a matter of having a plan so you are not wasting time.

Happy travels

Posted by
6542 posts

Take note of Monday closures especially in Florence
Depending on your dates it might make more sense to stay in Florence on arrival

Florence 3
Venice 2
Rome3
Or
Venice 3
Florence 2
Rome 3

Either way can work

ETA
Oh I see you arrive on Friday
So starting in Florence avoids the Monday closure issue

Posted by
539 posts

First question…assuming I’m going to Venice, would you recommend going straight there after landing in Florence on Friday afternoon, or just do Florence first, then Venice, then Rome… seems like all the itineraries I see have the same Venice - Florence - Rome order. (I know ideally I’d fly into Venice and out of Rome, but the deal flying into Florence for my dates was significantly better).
Second question…have you found the train travel between cities pretty easy?

If you had more time, perhaps a single overnight in Florence to allow you to adjust but, your time is limited. Your itinerary is pretty tight and you don't have a lot of wiggle-room, upon landing I'd go directly to Firenze SMN and catch a train to Venice. Train travel in Italy is fantastically easy, inexpensive and quite extensive. Each of the destinations you're visiting are serviced practically every 15-20 minutes as there's a multitude of trains and travelers coming/going.

Could I plan on getting up early, getting on a morning train, and being in the next city by noon… or would it take up more of the day?

You can take a slow train or, a fast train, just depends on your budget and time constraints. Fastest train from Firenze SMN to Venezia S.Lucia is just over 2hrs and there's quite a bit of departures.

If I visit all three cities, I’m thinking I’d do 3 nights Venice, 2 nights Florence, and 3 nights Rome. My flight out of Rome isn’t until 8:45 pm so I’d have a good part of that last day there. I know I could spend weeks in each city, but this would just give me a nice look at each. Has anyone done all in 8 nights or fewer, and would you recommend for/against? I’m very go-with-the-flow and I’d basically follow Rick’s recommended 2-3 day plans for each place.

You can certainly stick to this itinerary. Venice is gonna be spendier than the other three, perhaps cutting it to 2-nights and go to 3-nights in Florence instead just for budgetary reasons, otherwise, you should be fine.

Posted by
2875 posts

Will, welcome to the forum. You've given your trip a lot of thought. Here are a few of my thoughts:

would you recommend going straight there [Venice] after landing in Florence on Friday afternoon

Yes. You've lost a whole day flying. Finish out your travel day going to Venice. You'll be tired and probably jet lagged. Eat a good dinner. Get a good night's sleep. The next day enjoy Venice.
Keep in mind that many museums are closed on Monday. In Florence the Duomo complex is open Monday but the Uffizi is closed. By planning your itinerary you will find plenty to see and do. You can add Food Tours and Walking Tours to see areas you may not visit otherwise.

I’m thinking I’d do 3 nights Venice, 2 nights Florence, and 3 nights Rome. My flight out of Rome isn’t until 8:45 pm

This sounds perfect to me. Take an early train from Venice to Florence so you have most of your day in Florence. With your planned two nights there you only have one full day. Moving to Florence early will give you almost two full days.

have you found the train travel between cities pretty easy?

Yes. Plan your travel days so you maximize your time in both your departure and arrival cities. Pack light so you can easily board and exit the trains. Use the TrenItalia and ItaloTreno apps to see schedules and to book tickets. Buy only direct tickets between your three cities.

Enjoy your trip. Keep asking questions if you need help. Buon Viaggio!