Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Italy

We have 22 days for our first trip to Italy. We have included
2 1/2 days in Venice, 2 1/2 days in Italian Tyol,2 1/2 days in Florence,2 1/2 days in Cinque Terra, 1 1/2 days in Siena,
1 1/2 days in Assisi, 3 days in Rome. These do not include travel time. Are we trying to do too much?

Bob

Posted by
53 posts

Yes! One regreat we have was not spending enough time in Tuscany. We only had two day in Siena and the hill towns, we wish we had at least another day. I'd drop Tyrol and add those to Siena. Rent a car a day or two and travel the hill towns, it's so worth it!

Posted by
41 posts

Try Piensa, it is a really quaint hill town. We stay at Camere Andrei. Benedetto Andrei and his mother run this B&B and they could not be more helpful. There is free parking on site, too. You are also in view of other hilltop towns!

Hope this helps!

KOL

Posted by
39 posts

No, 22 days is plenty! We did a lot of the same places in 2/3rds of the time. I put together some notes from our last trip that I can forward you that may be helpful in your planning. Just send me your email address and I'll be happy to forward to you. I would also suggest San Gimignano as a day trip from Siena.

Posted by
32241 posts

Bob,

Given that this is your first trip to Italy, I'd suggest planning a slightly less ambitious Itinerary. While it may be feasible to visit the locations in the time frame you've allowed, it's going to be rushed.

Keep in mind that you'll lose the first day in flight times, and the last day will be spent on the trip home. I agree with a previous reply to drop the Tyrol from this trip. You'll need to allow for travel times between locations, as well as time checking in & out of Hotels, etc. You might also consider adding a day or so to Rome, as there's LOTS to see.

Happy travels!

Posted by
32 posts

After all the suggestions...we will be spending 5 nights in Venice, 4 nights in Florence, 3 nights in CT,
2 nights in Siena, 2 nights in Assisi, and 4 nights in Rome... Thanks for the help...

Posted by
1292 posts

I actually liked your first plan. I loved the Dolomite area and hate to see you give it up. I usually spend 3 nights in Venice, 2 in the Cinque Terre, 3 in Rome, 3 in the Dolomites and then some in Tuscany and Umbria. I have enjoyed all the sights you have mentioned in 14-15 nights so 22 seems luxurious to me. ( I have been more than once and been able to fill in with new places in the Tuscany area). I would do a lot of reading about each area and plan out how you would fill the time in each area. You can get the Rick Steve's city guides at the library. Also, think about what kind of traveler you are. If you are someone who likes to sleep in on vacation, see one sight a day and then relax..well, you would hate traveling with me. I am a get up, get going, I want to see it all kind of gal. So decide what you like and plan accordingly. So often people on this site always say "Too much" and it might be for them. But does that mean it is too much for you? Only you know. I have always traveled at about the pace (or faster) of your first itinerary and loved it. You asked for opinions: I liked the first itinerary. Five nights (4 full days) in Venice would be too much for me if it meant I had to give up hiking in the Dolomite's.

Posted by
89 posts

22 days! I'm so jealous. Our Italy trips are ten days. In your second itinerary, I think you have too many nights in Venice. I would do only two nights. Also, Assisi can be thoroughly enjoyed with one night which is what we did in 2008. We arrived mid-morning by train from Rome. Spent the entire day wandering through its beautiful medieval streets and charming shops, spent several hours in the Basilica San Francesco, and went to a free evening concert. Spend the night and left early the next morning for Florence. So this gives you back three nights for to do other locations (like another Tuscan hilltown) or to extend your time in others. I agree, too, with the previus poster who suggested you consider the type of traveler you are. We like to allow plenty of time for sopping up the Italian experience in a relaxed manner. We plan our days so we can stop for a cappucino or wander aimlessly or do a short afternoon nap to rejuvinate. And what do you enjoy - musuems, art, ancient history, outdoor spaces, churches, foodie stuff? This will help you figure out how much time is certain places. For example, I am absolutely fascinated with Renaissance art and history. So I would spend more nights in Florence. If hiking and outdoor experiences were my thing, I'd go to Cinque Terra.

Remember, planning, researching, reading, mapping - it's all part of the fun of a trip likes this!

Posted by
12172 posts

I think it's pretty functional. I know you'll wish you had double the time to spend at each location (except CT, 2 1/2 days is about right).

I might lean toward 1 1/2 days in CT and use the extra day to add some brief stops at a couple of other hill towns while en route to Siena and Assisi.

We really liked San Gimignano as one stop but there's also Volterra, Montepulciano and a host of other good choices. We also like Orvieto a lot but I think it will be out of the way from Assisi.

You will be close to Verona, so a half day to tour the city center, while enroute, is worthwhile. Same for Bologna if you can do it.

You don't say if you are driving (we leased a seven passenger car, just right for 2 adults and 3 kids). If so, don't go without a GPS.

Posted by
52 posts

Bob,
You're first itinerary was perfect for young energetic travelers that like the adventure of keeping your motor running, and taking in the differences and specialties of many different places.

Your revised itinerary is more sedate...perfect for the mature traveler that enjoys seeing things at a slower pace. The trade off is you get moire in-depth in fewer places.

Your preferences and energy level are your business. You may have adjusted your plans to fit your lifestage perfectly.

You'll have fun in any event. Have a great trip.

Posted by
277 posts

We spent 6 nights in Montepulciano, doing day trips out to other towns like Siena,ect. I would not have stayed allot longer on that trip, but I will always go back for more. Enjoy. Jeff