Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Italy

I am planning my trip to Italy, one more time. I had planned to travel in 2016 but it had to be postponed.
The plans now are to visit Rome, Venice and the Amalfi Coast in early April 2018. I am traveling from Miami Florida. I am thinking of 12 days, and would like to have a couple of days free. Should 4 days in Rome be sufficient for a first timer? I read that 3 nights in Venice is the ideal time, and 3 nights in the Amalfi Coast? Can you please help me map out my trip?
Thank you.

Posted by
429 posts

I took my first (and I say first instead of only because I hope to go back!) trip to Italy two years ago. I stayed four nights in Rome and wish that I had stayed at least one or two more nights. I also spent two nights in Venice and that wasn't nearly enough time, either. I haven't been to the Amalfi Coast, so I can't help you there. However long you decide to stay, though, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time - I know that I can't wait until my next visit!

Posted by
32212 posts

zpc,

There are numerous possibilities, but it will be easy to work out an Itinerary for a short trip like that. It would help to have some idea which areas or towns you're interested in seeing on the Amalfi Coast? It's a large area so it's difficult to plan without that information. Does your 12 days include your two flight days?

One possibility would be.....

• Fly inbound to Naples, take Curreri Viaggi coach to Sorrento. Tour Sorrento, Pompeii, Capri, Positano and perhaps Naples (4 nights)
  • Train to Rome. Tour Rome with possible day trip to Orvieto (4 nights).
  • Train to Venice. Tour Venice with possible day trip to Padova (4 nights)
  • Return flight from Venice.

The usual suggestion here on the forum is to start in Venice due to the fact that return flights to the U.S. often leave early in the morning. However in early April, it occurred to me that it would be better to start in the south where it's warmer and then work north from there.

I'm sure the others will have lots more suggestions.

Posted by
27122 posts

Definitely check to see what flight arrangements home from Venice would look like before committing to ending there (though I certainly agree that it's best from the weather standpoint). I lot of people find out too late that they'll be getting up at 3 or 4 AM and paying lots of money to get to the Venice airport in time for their return flight.

Posted by
115 posts

Thanks for your replies. The 12 days are on the ground, but that's a good point to make sure that I plan it properly.
Someone on the forum suggested to stay in Praiano on the Amalfi Coast. I also discussed it with a friend that has family in that region and thought it was a good idea.
Any way to do Rome first, Venice and then the Amalfi Coast and fly out from Rome?
Why do you suggest the Amalfi Coast first due to it being warmer? What's the best way to get from Venice to the Amalfi Coast?

Posted by
331 posts

Most people would suggest a linear plan of travel. If you just look at a map, you will be criss-crossing the country by going to Rome, then Venice, then Amalfi coast. But it is your trip. If you start in Venice, you can then go to Amalfi and end in Rome or Rome and end in Amalfi and fly out of Naples. Check Rome2Rio for travel times between each location. How much time in each area is determined by your interests. Want to see ruins and/or the Vatican, spend more time in Rome. Canals, car-free travel and roaming in and out of small alleys while seeing beautiful art, Venice. Fantastic sea views with curvy roads and wall to wall hotels, etc, then Amalfi coast. This is a broad generalization, but you should get the idea.
If you haven't done so, get a couple of good guide books and check out TV travel shows.

Posted by
11180 posts

The "straight line" theory is best.

A quick look at google map shows Venice to Rome to AC is approx 500 total miles.

Your wanting to do Rome to Venice to AC to Rome, basically doubles your travel miles. Is that really how you want to spend your time?

As an alternative, substitute Cinque Terra for the AC and reduce your traveling.

Posted by
15584 posts

Over 12 days in April, I don't think you should depend on a warming trend. Weather is changeable. Overall, it will probably be warmer on the Amalfi Coast than in Venice, but there's no reason to think that April 14 will be much warmer than April 4 in any one Italian location. To put it in perspective, the distance between Venice and the Amalfi Coast is about the same as from Miami to Jacksonville.

It's easiest to start in Venice. Relax, get over jetlag, soak up the atmosphere in this quiet, relatively low-key town. Then fly to Naples and make your way to the Amalfi Coast. End in Rome, where it's easiest to get to the airport for your flight home.

12 days on the ground is more likely to be 10 days. Even if you land in the morning, by the time you get through the airport and to your hotel a good part of the day is gone and you've just come off a long-haul flight with little sleep. The 12th day is often just having breakfast and going to the airport. Here's what you're looking at

Day 1 - arrive Venice (3N), 2 full days sightseeing
Day 4 - travel to Amalfi Coast (3N), 2 full days sightseeing
Day 7 - Travel to Rome (5N), 4 full days sightseeing
Day 12 - fly home

Posted by
115 posts

Thank you to all. I will do the Venice, AC, and Rome route. I will extend the trip from 12 to 15 days and continue studying these boards. I will also get some books.

I'm no expert but have been there a few times and was lucky enough to have time to take it slow a bit on my first Italy/Euro trip. Honestly I think you'd be ok to cut a night off Venice and spend an extra one in Rome. Venice is really pretty and there are many things to see but you can get a decent overview in 2 nights and Rome is a place that I feel like no matter how much time you spend you'll never get through even half of it. Give yourself that extra night to enjoy it if you can.

Posted by
1949 posts

Yes, as Chani says, weather is fickle--I found that out. We were in Rome early last month and it was very nice, temperate, 50's/60's, maybe high 40's in the morning. Only a sprinkle of rain. Day trip to Orvieto--100 miles north--was even better, mid 60's and wonderful. Then, we traveled from Rome 100+ miles south to Sorrento and it was cold, windy, rainy much of the time, and on the peninsula it seemed to rage that much worse. Finally straightened out a little for our last couple days.

I know March is different than April but I'm sure you're still going to get the temp & precip swings, no doubt. But don't let that stop you. Enjoy your planning!