Please sign in to post.

First trip to Italy

We are planning a 2 week trip to Italy in Sept/Oct -- never been there before. We are thinking of Rome (3 nights), Tuscany (including Florence for 5 nights), Cinque Terra (3 nights), Venice (1 night), and Zurich (2 nights). We want to start or end in Zurich to visit friends. Any advice on the itinerary, transportation, or flights?

Posted by
1201 posts

Venice deserves more than one night either add some extra time or skip her all together.

Posted by
23267 posts

First, I would suggest an open jaw ticket. Last summer we actually found it was $200/person cheaper to fly into Rome and home from Zurich instead of a RT to Rome. Personally I would skip Venice because of the transportation logistics and you only planned one day. Spend a day or two in Milan. A lot of people down play Milan but we have enjoyed it on a couple of occasions. The train ride from Milan to Zurich is terrific so do it in the day. And the Zurich/Luzern area is worth more than two days.

Posted by
7209 posts

Personally I think you could chop 2 days off of Florence and add the 2 days to Venice.

Posted by
586 posts

Frankly, I think you have one too many destinations given the geography/travel involved. Why not skip Rome for another time, since it's the most southern stop and you really want Zurich on this trip? How about Fly into Zurich (2 nights); 3 nights Venice; 4 nights Florence (with day trip to Siena by bus, just an hour); 3 nights Cinque Terre; 2 nights Milan; fly home from Milan. Rome could be included nicely on another trip sometime, starting in Rome and heading south to Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi.

Posted by
524 posts

I think it looks like a great trip - the only thing I would tweek is the taking a day or two from Florence to give to Venice.

Posted by
109 posts

I agree with Gio. Since you need to be in Zurich, concentrate on northern Italy. I would probably visit The Italian lakes, Venice and the Veneto and Florence at the most. Actually, Zurich, the Italian lakes and Venice seem like plenty in a 2 week trip. Leave Rome for another trip.
Whatever you decide try to avoid one night stays anywhere. Too much time wasted checking in and out, I think.