Please sign in to post.

First trip to Italy

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy this fall (early October). We have 9 full days (2 additional travel days). We want a mix of touristy sights and relaxing food/wine. Some museums are good, but we are not super artsy people.

We will likely fly into Venice, train to Florence, and then home from Rome.

If you have suggestions on things to do in each city, places to stop along the way, or fun activities (cooking classes, wine tours, walking food tours, catacombs, etc.), please share your thoughts :)

Posted by
5322 posts

When looking at ticket prices, were you looking at 2 one way trips or a multicity ticket? Often the multicity tickets are about the same as a return ticket, especially when factoring the cost of getting back to the first airport.
If the 10 days includes your international flying days, then you only have 8 days in Italy. In that case stick to 2 cities. My pick would be Rome and Florence. Fly into Rome, and then immediately proceed by train to Florence for 4 days. Do day trips if you want to Pisa, Sienna, Lucca, or a van/bus tour of the Tuscan hill towns. Then spend the rest of your time in Rome.

If your 10 days is all in Italy, and you do a multicity ticket, I'd recommend the classic VFR trip: fly into Venice for 3 nights, then train to Florence for 3 nights, followed by Rome, flying home from there.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you, that is actually very helpful. I was looking at one-way to each city. The flights are much more reasonable doing a multi-city flight. I will edit that portion :)

Posted by
922 posts

I might suggest that you look at the itineraries for the various Italy tours that Rick Steve’s offers just to get an idea of how much ground you can cover in the time you have. Ten days is not a lot, unfortunately, so you will have to be very choosy. The Venice/Florence/Rome tour is ten days, and those are probably the three most popular locations for most tourists, so that might be a place to start. The price of flying into one city and out of another should not be much different than a round trip airfare in and out of the same city. Are you looking at the flights separately or as a multi city flight when you search? If Rome is a must see for you, and you fly in and out of there, then it will really limit how far you can go in just ten days. There will be other people more informed on Italy who will chime in on this, but I think the first thing you need to do before setting your heart on any location will be to figure out flights then go from there.

Posted by
1214 posts

Dear amroloff, how fantastic that you and your husband are going to Italy for the first time. I've been there at least a dozen times (probably more! I've lost count!) and still Italy draws me back again and again. It would help those of us who might have suggestions for restaurants, attractions, etc., if you first figure out where you will spend your nights. If you say you have 10 days, then I'm guessing you actually have 9 or 10 nights. If you need to fly in and out of Rome, for example, one possible "first time" trip might look like the following: land in Rome, probably mid-morning. Take the fast, "freccia" train from Rome (either from the airport, or from another Rome train station, probably "Termini" station) to Venice. The train trip from Rome Termini to Venice is approx. 4 hours. You would then arrive Venice mid-to-late afternoon. Spend 3 nights in Venice. Train to Florence. Spend 2 nights in Florence, and then 1-2 nights at a smaller city/town, like Siena (art, food, day tours to vineyards), Assisi (art, churches, history), Montepulciano (lovely medieval center, food, wine), or Orvieto (more history, food, scenery. Orvieto might be easiest; it's on the way from Florence area to Rome). Read about these and figure where you want to stop. Then Rome for 3 nights and fly back home from Rome. There is so much to see, do, experience, eat and explore. It's really up to what is calling you! You might want to look at some videos on this website, and on tripadvisor, youtube, etc., to see what you want to do this first time. And always figure that you WILL be back!

Posted by
2622 posts

You will get the same variety of ideas here as you have from friends, because everybody has different interests.
Your best bet is to decide what you want to see/do, after reading about things available, either in a guidebook, or maybe start here:
https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy

Posted by
16367 posts

Welcome to the forum, amroloff!

If you have favorites (cities, attractions, things to see/do,
restaurants, or things to skip) please send everything my way!!

O my goodness, you do NOT want to wade through the many, many posts of favorites that could be thrown at you, especially if already overwhelmed with "mixed advice!" Best to start small. :O)

10 days: Does that include your travel days to and from Italy? It matters.

Food and wine: You can find it anywhere, really. It's more important to nail down just a few locations of the 'anywhere' list. What sort of attractions are you interested in seeing? (Hint: "all" isn't an answer.)

I'll throw this out while waiting for more info...
The classic first-timer's trip is the "Holy Trinity": Venice, Florence (the capital of Tuscany) and Rome. They are 3 very different cities with a lot to offer, and are well experienced in handling visitors from abroad. Transport between them is also via "fast trains" so is safe, efficient and comfortable. It would help you, timewise, if you could fly into Venice and out of Rome so look at flights again? You really wouldn't have time for a 4th location.

I wouldn't personally go to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast on a first trip unless you don't care for what the 3 cities recommended largely have to offer for things to do/see. Others may feel differently; a 'right' choice for them.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you! For clarification, we will have 9 full days in Italy, and two additional travel days. Ideally, we would like to fly into Venice, the take a train to Florence, then home from Rome. If there are small day trips that we can do from Florence (aka Lucca/Siena/other small towns) to enjoy a cooking class, vineyards, etc., I would like that a lot too. While my husband and I both appreciate the beauty of art, neither of us would enjoy spending an entire day in museums.

Posted by
954 posts

I agree with others, look at the Rick Steves itineraries for the Italy tours for what the “touristy” sights are and if that appeals to you. If you’re not into art, maybe you should not go to Florence but maybe an agritourism b&b in the Tuscan countryside where there are wineries and the smaller charming hill towns. Italy is a whole lot of art in the museums, churches and the architecture created by the Masters. It is also wonderful food and wine and if that is more your passion, maybe you should concentrate on that. There are several wonderful food tours in Rome especially in the Trastevere neighborhood.

Posted by
11500 posts

I remember planning our first trip to Italy, the same as yours! We have been there ten times as it is our favorite travel destination.
Take some day trips from Florence. Siena would be a good choice as you can also visit the charming towns between Siena and Florence such as Castellina, Panzano, Radda, Greve and more. Radda is known for its ceramics. In Florence an absolute must see is Michelangelo’s “ David.” The amount of detail in David’s body in this work of art is incredible!
Rome is one of my favorite places in the world! We like to walk around and find new sights around every corner. You won’t believe how many antiquities you’ll come upon. I am always amazed by them.
The Pantheon is high on my list and I always go back there. Nearby you’ll find one of our favorite places to dine, Armando al Pantheon. Book a table online far in advance! For seafood, La Rosetta is wonderful.
Walk over the bridge to Travestere and explore, lots of very good places to eat there too!