Please sign in to post.

First Trip to Italy

My husband Tom and I are planning our first trip to Italy for the spring 2009. We don't enjoy the usual tourist things however we would love to see the City of Rome. My question is should we see Rome first or last? We are planning at least 17 days and plan to fly into Rome. We are not sure if that is where should fly into as we also want to spend time around the Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre. We both love to walk. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you - Cindy

Posted by
6898 posts

Hi neighbor, I agree with Kent's comments. In addition, both the CT and the Amalfi coast are a bit out of the way and take a bit more time to get to. There are no direct trains to the CT (unless you fly into Pisa). For the Amalfi coast, you will most likely be on a train and bus. Both are simply great and scenic locations.

One thing mentioned by Kent that you may want to look into is flying into one location and out of another. All airlines do this but some do it at increased rates and others are reasonable. You'll have to research. If you can, I would suggest flying into Rome, visit Rome, do the Amalfi Coast, train to the CT for 2-3 days and then train to Venice. Fly out of Venice. Just a thought.

A big hint is to not schedule a flight out of Rome or Venice before 9:00am unless you stay near the airport the evening before you fly out. We can give you train schedules if you need them. Have fun planning.

Posted by
240 posts

Cindy, we went to Italy for 4 weeks in October 2006. We arrived in Rome and rented a car and drove immediately to Naples and stayed for 4 days. We were abble to go to Capri, Pompei, Sorrento and Amalfi..all by train from our hotel. From there we drove along the east coast and stayed in Rimini overnite, then on to Venice for 4 days. Easy to take the water taxi to the city. From there we drove to Tuscany and rented an apartment for one week. Easy train to Florence and easy drive to Corona, Pisa, Luca and CT. From there back to Rome for 4 days then home. We were able to see so much. We probably walked 5-8 miles a day. Actually lost weight! Even though I ate gelato at every corner. Enjoy!

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you so much for the information. I think the first thing I should do is get a map. It sounds as though Amalfi and Cinque Terre are in oposite directions. Tom loves to backpack and I just love walking.

I have driven in Ireland - is it the same? Is the weather pretty nice in the spring? We are thinking late April to May.

Posted by
3313 posts

Cindy, one principle I have (but rarely follow) is to begin a trip in a smaller town - less pressure to see everything once and it's easier to acclimate to a new language and culture. Then later, once you've conquered jet lag and gotten comfortable with dealing with the language, you'll be better able to handle the big city.

This advice is a little more problematic if you fly into Rome, because traveling to the sites you mention will be a little complicated. I think it might be easier to fly into Milan and begin with a nearby Lake town.

Posted by
9436 posts

On our first trip to Italy we flew into Rome and spent a couple of days there first. We weren't overwhelmed at all, we loved every minute. Cindy, I highly recommend staying in Sorrento when you go to the Amalfi Coast area. It is our favorite place in all of Italy. We've stayed at La Tonnarella in Sorrento twice and are returning again this July, we love it. I would recommend getting Rick's Italy guide, lots of great info on Sorrento and all of Italy. Have fun :)

Posted by
805 posts

I actually like starting in Rome, or another big city because the fact that I can walk around helps me get over jet lag quickly. Rome is a fabulous walking town and one of the best things about it is that a lot of the monuments are hidden (e.g. you approach the Trevi Fountain from a side street). It is also a good place to fly into as there are several nonstop flights from the US.

I would also say that you should add Venice to your trip. I know its touristy but it is unlike any other place in the world and honestly floored me. There are few experiences that can match either having a dinner on a canal or dancing in St. Mark's Square at midnight. Just thinking about it now brings a smile to my face.

Posted by
632 posts

Let me affirm comments made by David and Kent above. You should think seriously about flying "open jaw” maybe into Rome and out of Venice or vice versa. This allows you to maximize your time exploring and not having to worry so much about getting somewhere. And if you need a reason to go to Venice...just try to think of another city...anywhere in the world where there are no cars or motorbikes. It is truly "other worldly" in the best sense of that expression.

Posted by
606 posts

Cindy asked,
"I have driven in Ireland - is it the same?"

The answer is no. In Ireland they drive on the left all the time. In Italy they drive on the left only part of the time.

Italian driving will appear crazy to you. They know what they are doing, and what to expect from each other, but you may not have a clue. Do be careful.

For a realistic idea of things, see this video:
http://www.infonegocio.com/xeron/bruno/italy.html