Please sign in to post.

First trip to Italy

We will be in Italy Nov 5 to 13. Visiting Venice, Florence and Rome. Need suggestions about how much cash we need to carry with us (euros). I plan to take an ATM card and 2 credit cards should we do currency exchange in the USA or wait . My package is prepaid it includes air, hotel b&b, train tickects. Also please need help packing the right clothes,don't want to paid $$$ extra luggage., we did last trip to Madrid. Thanks, Nina

Posted by
55 posts

Hi Nina,

Personally, I would not do a currency exchange, either in the US or in Italy. Instead, use your ATM card. You'll get the best exchange rate that way, and at no commission. Just make SURE, however, that you call your bank in advance to inform them that you will be traveling to Italy to make sure that they won't lock your account, thinking someone stole the card.

Credit cards can also be a good way to save, but two things to keep in mind: First, this is only true if your company does not charge an extra fee for international transactions. (Many do). I have a CapitalOne Visa card, and it does not charge a fee, so I use it often even living here in Italy. Second, Italian establishments accept credit cards far less often than in the States. Don't expect to be able to pay for coffees, postcards, or even necessarily dinners or your hotel with one! So you'll absolutely need access to cash, too.

Hope that helps.

www.revealedrome.com

Posted by
18 posts

I would agree with Amanda. Just returned from a two week trip to Italy. Made the mistake of getting about 100 Euro from a US airport currency exchanger who charged far too much for the transaction. I used both a Visa debit card and credit card to withdraw Euros, and by far the best deal was using my Visa debit card by withdrawing Euros from a bank ATM. My credit card charged excessive foreign,advance, and interest transaction fees. I brought home about 100 Euros to begin our next trip with, but will definitely only use the Visa debit card for all cash withdrawals going forward. Have a great trip.

Posted by
4152 posts

You will probably want to get about 100 euros before you come to Italy. Check with your bank or AAA. There are ATM's all over the country but you'll want some euros on hand when you land in case the airport ATM's are out of order. Use your card to get money as you need it. Check your bank to see if they charge any fees for this. Italian banks won't charge you but your bank may. Also have them raise your daily limit in order to reduce the number of times you have to find an ATM to make a withdrawl. It will be cool in the mornings and evenings so a jacket might be needed. You might want to avoid bringing jeans as they take up a lot of space. Pack clothing you can layer and you should be fine. You're only there for 8 days so you should be able to pack a carry-on very easily or if you're checking a bag that will give you room for more.

Donna

Posted by
32220 posts

Raquel,

As the others have mentioned, using ATM cards is absolutely the best way to obtain cash in Europe. I would HIGHLY recommend taking two ATM cards, in case you encounter problems with one (I can tell you from personal experience, that DOES happen!). Note also that your travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN.

I normally take about €100 in travel funds, so that I have cash available for a meal or whatever when I first arrive. That way I have a bit of time before I have to find the nearest ATM. I don't like using ATM's at the airport on arrival, as I'm usually tired, grumpy and just interested in getting my luggage and getting out of there as quickly as possible.

Happy travels!

Posted by
4535 posts

If you're going to be in the same hotel for more than one night, plan to hand wash some things and let them drip-dry. Then you reduce the number of clothes you must carry. It can get chilly in November so bring layers and a light jacket.

Posted by
15602 posts

I have never had a problem finding an ATM in an international airport. More than once, I have found one in the baggage claim area while waiting for my luggage to be unloaded. If you are really worried, take $100 in cash with you - there is always a currency exchange desk in the airport. In Italy, the ATM is called Bank-o-mat. Just ask anyone at the airport and they'll point you to one.

As for clothes, the weather is changeable. Plan to wear layers and be prepared for rain - and wet shoes.