Please sign in to post.

first time trip planned april 2025 need some transportation tips and switzerland tips

Hi everyone, have my trip planned aka airline tickets and hotel. Anyways staying in bellagio 5 days and would like to go to the alps
1 day only..lugano does not look like the alps, i could be wrong. Is their a train we can take for a very long day trip where we can get the last ferry to bellagio? or can hire a car back if needed. Second after bellagio we head to rome. Choices are train or rent a car one way. which train is it, do they all go thru milan first? also if I rent car, how hard is the requirements, we have us drivers licenses. is their car rental, bellagio, lake como or varenna? we are staying at rome smeraldo hotel, does rent a car go back to airport only. then we would have to taxi to hotel? Third after rome we are in sorrento 5 days, is their a ferry there, or private car (cost) worried about train here for seats as I have a bad back and hip, thx everyone

Posted by
20943 posts

Take trains to Rome and Sorrento. Trains to Rome go with a change at Milano Centrale station. Go Business class if you want more comfortable seats from Milan to Rome as it does not cost that much more.

For a day trip to the Alps, take the mid-lake shuttle boat to Varenna, then a train to Tirano, then a train to St Moritz, then a bus to Chiavenna, then a train to Colico, then a train to Varenna. Should be able to do this with plenty of time for shuttle boat back to Bellagio. From Tirano to Chiavenna you will be in the Alps.