Please sign in to post.

Firenze Card

I am wondering if it makes sense to buy a Firenze Card for three days in Florence. We are planning to go to the Uffizi, the Accademia, Boboli Gardens & the Palatine Gallery at least, perhaps also the Bargello. I can't see any mention of it in Rick Steves' book, so I'm wondering if it's something new or if there are wrinkles that I should be aware of in its purchase. Thanks!

Posted by
32817 posts

I was looking at that yesterday. It is €50 for 72 hours and seems to include most of the sites I'd like to go back to and they throw in buses. I did the math for us and it seemed to work. I don't usually go for that sort of deal but this one looked decent. What do others think?

Posted by
359 posts

it is mentioned in the RS Italy 2012 book. you can do the math and see if it is a good deal.
I like the idea of bypassing the lines and not requiring reservations for Uffizi and Accademia so that alone makes it appealing

Posted by
5 posts

do you still need to reserve admission time to the Uffizi if you have a Firenze card?

Posted by
37 posts

They say not. However, there is a caveat on the website indicating that one may have to wait if the museum is full, whereas presumably that is not the case if one has a reservation. I don't know what happens in practice. This was a concern that we had also, so I would be interested if anyone has had direct experience.

Posted by
12 posts

In general you skip the lines and waltz right in past those even with bookings, however in practice each museum has its limits and you may have to wait at busy times. I love the idea of saving money, of seeing as much as I can in a short time and of skipping the lines, and of paying only once to enter such an array of museums, gardens and galleries. But there is only so much you can squeeze into 72 hours. Choosing the 2-3 places you really want to visit and paying the normal entry price may work out better for some people. Boboli gardens is in hibernation till spring and all dried-up by the end of July. Unless you are an aficionado of garden design and landscaping I would give it a miss outside these months as there is little floral display to appreciate.

Posted by
653 posts

If you haven't been to the San Marco Museum, it's definitely worth a visit. It was a Dominican convent, and each friar's cell has a fresco by Fra Angelico. Really a special place, and I've never been there when it's crowded.

Posted by
1 posts

If you purchase a Firenze card, do you still have to make separate reservations to see the David? If so, can you make those online at the Accademia?

Posted by
2 posts

According to this website: www.firenzecard.it. The current price of the card for 72 hours is 72 Euros. This sit also lists all museums that it covers. That seems pretty pricey to me.

Posted by
864 posts

With the card you do not have to make separate reservations for the Uffizi, Accademia etc. Go to the "with reservations" entrance door. Yes, you may still have to wait awhile - only so many people are allowed inside at one time but it's still a tremendous time saver. Don't miss the museum of precious stones around the corner from the Accademia. (Museo dell'Opifico delle Pietre Dure - Via degli Alfani 78 - closed Sunday.) Inlay work so fine you'll think sometimes it's a painting. Small museum, included in the pass. The pass also allows you, mentally, to go to a museum to see say only one thing. Perhaps say the Bargello to see Donatello's David or Giambolonga's Murcury (reminds me of the Florist's logo for wiring flowers). Check out date museums are closed ahead of time when figuring all this out to maximize usefulness.