Please sign in to post.

Firenze Card

I watched Rick Steves' video on Florence and intended to follow Rick's recommendation and purchase a Firenze Card on my arrival (which apparently is now available to purchase online), but some friends who recently returned from Italy said that they were still required to stand in long queues.

The Firenze card website state, "Priority access to the museums with no reservation requirements. In addition to free admission, the Firenze Card allows you to avoid long queues at the ticket offices of main museums"

I just want to make sure I have the correct information.

Thank you.

Posted by
795 posts

The Firenze card keeps you from standing in a long line to buy tickets not to bypass security check lines or entry lines. Avoiding a long line to buy a ticket is worth it.

Posted by
11 posts

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I went back and watched the Florence episode.

I'm quoting the transcript...

"Each day here, and throughout Europe, frustrated tourists who don't study their guidebooks waste precious hours in museum lines. Meanwhile, travelers who made a reservation by phone or purchase the city museum pass — as we did — are allowed right in."

Is there really is a special entrance for holders of the Firenze card which allows holders to walk right in? None of the museums require phone calls ahead of time to book a entry time?

Thank you.

Posted by
118 posts

You're trying to apply one sentence to dozens of different museums which have different supply/demand levels, policies and building limitations.

Generally, you need to wait in line to buy a ticket.
Then you need to wait in line to get in.

My understanding of the Firenze/Roma cards is that they eliminate, at the very least, the need to wait in line to buy a ticket. Sometimes you get more, but not at all locations.

Posted by
337 posts

Yes you will avoid the long queues to buy tickets, regardless of that you queue for security.
Week before last at the Uffitzi, it was about 20".
The line to buy tickets went all the way back to the river.
To see David it was 15" but this was because of the number of visitors still inside.
The line to buy tickets there went both sides back around the corners.

Posted by
16893 posts

Although the Rick's statement on the video is general, it is primarily based on not spending precious hours in ticket-buying lines at the Uffizzi and Accademia museums, where they are the worst. Some places do have separate entrance doors for passes and reservations.

Posted by
47 posts

Last year (May 2014) I followed Rick's instructions to the letter, buying my ticket for the Uffizi online a few weeks ahead. Then 15 minutes before my scheduled time, I went to door #3 (Reservation Ticket Office), exchanged my voucher for a ticket (no line for this), walked past literally hundreds of people waiting to buy tickets, over to door #1, where fewer than 10 people were inline in front of me, and right in at the scheduled time, delayed briefly only by the security procedures. Couldn't have been easier.