Please sign in to post.

finding oneself, SIM for ipad/ google off line

I would like to be able to poke around back roads in Ireland, France, Italy and Greece, including Crete. I do not have a smart phone but will have an ipad. I expect to get lost and am trying to figure out how to be able to locate myself. A GPS is too expensive for 7 weeks. The 2 possibilities I see are a SIM card and “The most economical approach is to download as much information as possible while you’re on Wi-Fi (Google Maps’ “save map to use offline” feature is useful for this, allowing you to view and even zoom in — though not search or get directions — once you’re offline).” RS.
What is an inexpensive reliable company for multi country roving? I looked at the Boingo comments and someone said there were only a few hot spots in Barcelona. So I am thinking this would not be useful in out of the way places. Any suggestions?
Then there is the suggestion to save zoomable maps offline, but I do not see any way of doing that when I google a place. How to do this? I presume the other suggestion of a map app that Rick mentions is only for smart phones?
Any other suggestions? Thanks, Annie

Posted by
32742 posts

this identical question has been asked in at least a couple of other Forums today. Before answering here it may be worthwhile seeing which of the other threads has already been answered..

Posted by
16893 posts

Sorry, I have not mastered the offline mapping functions of Google or otherwise, but among the three mentioned in Rick's article, City Maps 2Go, OffMaps and/or Navfree must have an iPad-friendly version of their offline apps.

Even last year, I used a combination of detailed paper maps, planning with Google Maps and Via Michelin when I did have Wi-Fi, reading road signs, and asking people for help, if necessary. This worked out around Tuscany and Umbria. Smaller roads were pretty clearly signed to direct you to the next town, but it does help to plan the list of towns or "connection points" that you want to go through.