Please sign in to post.

Finalizing Itinerary Sicily & Rome October 2015

We had to reschedule our May travel to October. We gained 5 nights, so added Palmero, extra night in Trapani, and extra night Rome.
We have 2 full days in Palmero, no car. We're interested in general history and orientation to the culture. We rebooked through Delta versus Alitalia. This saved $175.00 and more importantly gave us peace of mind after poor customer service experience w/Alitalia.

1. Any great ideas for Palmero-private tours, and hotels with roof top views/and serve meals from atop?

2. Any suggestions on private transfers from Agrigento to Taormina?

3. Agrigento: leaning towards booking a guided tour of Temples, Toursbylocals.com, anyone have experience with them?

Itinerary: 21 nights

3 Palmero

6 Trapani apartment

1 Agrigento

7 Taormina apartment

4 Rome

Posted by
11315 posts

I think you man Palermo? Sorry I cannot help with restaurants there. Maybe Trip Advisor?

We liked Trapani a lot. The food is terrific and it is a great base for seeing Segesta and the little island of Mozia, which we found fascinating. Try to go to the Egadi islands. The winds were too high for the ferries to run when we were there one March.

Posted by
15582 posts

I stayed at Hotel Ambasciatori on via Roma in Palermo. It was a good location for me - easy, level walk of about 5-7 minutes from the train station, very close to the Ballero market. It was basic but adequate, though I think I was in one of the poorer rooms. Breakfast was indeed served on the top floor and there was a rooftop patio with a view - it was too cold and wet in February to sit outside, though. It's a restaurant - had dinner there on one of my 2 nights. The food was very good and the service was too. The bus to Monreale leaves from the plaza in front of the train station. On the way back from Monreale, I got off the bus near the Palatine Chapel and did a self-guided walking tour. Palermo is very walkable. The immediate area of the hotel is quiet in the evenings - not much in the way of shops and restaurants. I believe there are a couple of good restaurants less than 10 minutes' walk, but I didn't try to find them.

I picked up a rental car when I left Palermo, at Hertz. In spite of many warnings not to drive in Palermo, it was quite easy and not very far to drive from there to the highway. I found it very easy to drive in Sicily.

I stayed in Castellammare del Golfo (rather than Trapani) and visited the temples at Segesta and Selinunte as day trips. I drove to Agrigento in the morning, including the museum, then continued to Piazza Armerina for the night. The historic center is well worth at least a couple of hours. From there I went to the Villa Romana del Casale (not to be missed!). Then I drove to Siracuse (Ortigia) for the rest of my stay.

After my 2 nights in Palermo, I left most of my luggage at the hotel and took a late afternoon train (with an overnight bag) to Cefalu for 2 nights, returning on a morning train to pick up my luggage and the car. I really liked Cefalu and there's a great beach there.

In the Trapani area, the towns pretty much shut down on Sundays. It's a good time for people-less photos, but not for much else. None of the wineries were open.

The only day I regret was the day I drove to Etna. Visibility was poor and it's really expensive to take the cable car.

I didn't use any guides. Some of the sights provided audio guides and I had some written information with me. I also bought souvenir guide books at some of the sights and used those too. At Agrigento, I think a personal guide would be worth it, but at the other places, not so much. I'm not a big fan of guided day tours, but if you won't have a car, you will have to use them.

Posted by
11613 posts

What Chani and Laurel said, but I have never taken a day tour and never rented a car in Sicily (except for two weeks traveling with friends one year). Public transportation is not as frequent as it is in northern Italy, but every city you mentioned is reachable by train or bus.

You can get from Agrigento to Taormina by train or bus as well, no need for private transfer unless you are pressed for time.

I hate to give you bad news, but Delta and Alitalia are codesharing airlines, so there is a possibility that you may end up on an Alitalia flight after all.

Posted by
564 posts

Chani, The Ambasciatori was booked for our dates. I reserved at the Centrale Palace Hotel. So we got the great central location which we needed. I appreciate the tip for the Monreale bus usage,. We just have to decide if we want to DIY or take a guided tour.
Would you allow 2 hours for Monreale or longer? Any places to buy a simple lunch?

Laurel- We have the Egadi Islands on our itinerary, and maybe Mozia, too. We have time for Marsala, Erice, a day to ZIngaro Reserve and Castellamare del Golfo, Trapani, and lesiure time.
How did you like the beaches at Trapani?

Thank you for the replies. I have more questions.

Zoe - For Agrigento I checked the road2rio website you suggested in another post. My concern is my DH. We do use and enjoy public transportation but his health is not at its best, so I’m researching more efficient faster ways of getting from Trapani to Agrigento. Also, we could end up with an entire afternoon for the Archealogical Museum and a guided 2 hour tour of the Temples if we hire a private transfer. So I’m researching this option.
Anyone have any names of companies?

After Agrigento we’d liked to visit at least Piazza Armenia and the WWII musuem in Catania before arriving in Taormina. I’m researching drivers/guided licensed tour guides for this transfer segment of the trip. I know we can go to Catania once we’re based in Taormina if we don’t go there on this exact day. I’ve read so much about the Piazza I think we’d enjoy this site.
Anyone have names of companies that are both driver and tour guide, or offer both for the day?

Palermo- I know we’d benefit and enjoy at least a brief overview of Palmero’s history, and see one or two highlights with a guide there. Recommendations are Francesca Lombardo and Virginia referred by TA.
Any other suggestions for licensed guides for Palmero sightseeing?

Zingaro- I can’t find public transport to this area. If we went to this Reserve, we also spend time at Castellamare del Golfo combining the two places as one day trip.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get to Zingaro and the beach without a car?

Posted by
1501 posts

In Taormina I used: legendofsicily.com The guides speak perfect English, know their history, have great senses of humor. I also rented an apartment from them. You can do one of the long day trips with them, or two shorter ones. Contact them via the website.
I used this guide service twice with two separate groups of friends and am going a third time in September. I can't say enough good things about them. The proprietor (Claudio Puglisi) was free one evening, and he walked us through Taormina, explaining the history and the buildings, and the ancient walls. Great Restaurant recommendations from him as well.

Posted by
564 posts

Thank you Donna. You helped me this past fall. We're hooked up with Claudio and apartment and tours from Taormina.
I need to connect the dots between Trapani to Agrigento to Taormina.

I forgot I could ask Claudio for references for that south side of the island.

Posted by
339 posts

For the bus trip to Monreale, allow more than 2 hours. Not sure if it is typical but we experienced major gridlock on the bus (in October) and it was closer to 4 hours round trip. And there are places to eat in Monreale and the cathedral is amazing.

We also did a self guided tour of Agrigento which was great. Wear good walking shoes for uneven ground and bring water and sunscreen. Very beautiful.

Posted by
15582 posts

Claire's right about Monreale. Traffic was very slow through Palermo to get there. From the bus stop, it's a 10-15 minute walk to the cathedral. You will want to spend some time in church and also in the lovely cloisters. There are plenty of places to stop for lunch on the way back to the bus. If you go by bus, note the schedule for the return bus before walking to the cathedral. It would be a shame to just miss one and have to wait 1/2 hour or more for the next one.

Posted by
564 posts

I wanted to share this information for Palermo Bus schedule to area towns. I found it on TA. Currently it's Bus No 389 to Monreale.
But will recheck that when we go. Thanks for the tips.

Palermo Bus Schedule to Monreale and other towns:

www.amat.pa.it

telephone 848 800 817

Posted by
11315 posts

We have the Egadi Islands on our itinerary, and maybe Mozia, too. We have time for Marsala, Erice, a day to ZIngaro Reserve and Castellamare del Golfo, Trapani, and lesiure time.
How did you like the beaches at Trapani?

I think Trapani without a car will be very limiting. You do not need it in Trapani, but to go to Segesta, Mozia, Marsala (kind of boring), Lo Zingaro and even Erice a car is pretty much a necessity. The lift to Erice is a bit outside of Trapani, a long walk from the center,

We did not go to the beach as it was March and a cold March at that, but we had a 60+ degree day hiking in Lo Zingaro and could see the beach at San Vito Lo Capo was gorgeous.

Posted by
564 posts

Laurel, I know you have a good point on the driving situation. I wasn't able to find public transportation to ZIngaro, just taxis.
As mush as my DH doesn't want to drive, I'm researching car rental prices. I know we both need IDP which we can get at our AAA office.

Maybe we can group a few days together for day trips from Trapani and leave a couple of days together without a car. Perhaps the beginning of our time in Trapani we can go without a car.
Originally this was my thought process as this way we'd have the car to move onward to Agrigento, then onward to Taormina. His health has been off so driving in his mind at this moment isn't appealing. I can do it. We both have experience driving in France and Italy.

This travel is also a time for us to relax and rest. We want time to just chill back and absorb the culture and nice weather there. It's still very warm in October.