Please sign in to post.

Fiat 500 rental

Last time were were in Italy we had requested a new Fiat 500 as our rental car - they were out of them and we got a Panda. It was a good little car and we had a great time. But . . . has anyone had any experience or know of companies that rent more "vintagy" Fiats? I found one site that wanted $250 per day for an older 500 which is way out of our budget. Looking for about a week's rental. Thanks!
Gary

Posted by
26 posts

Doesn't matter too much - our itinerary is still in the formation stage for this trip. We just want to do part of the trip in a car again and would enjoy doing it in a 500. We're totally flexible.

Posted by
16 posts

There is one company in Florence still going, bu they rent them for the day or afternoon in a fixed tour sort of way. The price you quote may seem expensive, but it is probably about right. Its always going to be more expensive to hire this sort of vehicle with all the maintenance checks etc that need to be done rather than a new car. If you find a good deal will you post it here and let others know Gary?

Posted by
8169 posts

As in the States, sometimes you've just got to take what rental cars are on their lot. An alternative would be to rent a car directly from a Fiat dealership. I was looking to rent a car in Certraldo for the Tuscany hill country. I found an auto dealer's rental prices to be very, very high, in comparison with AutoEurope or Hertz in Florence, 15 miles north. Using a corporate rate and being a Hertz Gold Club member, my rental rate is very reasonable. AutoEurope was second best on rates. Too bad gasoline is $8.35 per gallon as of today's exchange rate. Sometimes you've got to suck it up and pay the price to have a great time. Note: I sat in a Fiat 500 the other day, and it appears to be a very high quality but little automobile. They're getting ready to widen their potential market with a 4 door version. The U.S. dealer base has not come together as fast as Mr. Marchionne wanted, and sales are far below projections. I've also read that European owners are disappointed in the car's resale value, and I expect U.S. residuals will not be anywhere near a Mini's resale price.

Posted by
26 posts

I understand that is the case when renting from a large rental agency. We got the Panda rather than the 500 and it was fine - but now we are looking for a place that rents vintage 500s. I did find the company based in Florence but it is mostly for day trips.

Posted by
32882 posts

My Dad used to own an original 500, in the late 1950s. They are seriously cool cars and maybe one day I will own one. Do be aware if you do manage to score one that they run out of puff at about 50 mph, are >>very<< compact, and the gears have (had) no synchromesh. Biggest thing you can fit in the back "seat" is about a 10 year old. There is no luggage storage to speak of - the front bonnet conceals the spare tyre and the tool kit, and a tiny space for something else. If you get a yet older version you may get the doors that open backwards. Let me know what you find... make sure it is black with white sidewalls.