Please sign in to post.

Ferry questions

Me and my family will be traveling to Rome in mid May and plan on spending one night in Salerno. The plan is to head to Salerno early in the morning then catch the ferry to Positano for the day then ferry back in the evening. I already booked the train to Salerno and will arrive at 0912 per train schedule. The next ferry leaves at 0940. Is that realistic? I think it will be as long as the train is on time. Does anyone know if trains from Rome to Salerno usually run on time? Also if I book the ferry now and my train is delayed will they let me on the next ferry without paying for another ticket? One more question, can I wait and get my ferry tickets when I arrive in Salerno. Do they sell out? Thanks

Posted by
4105 posts

Trains usually run on time, they might be delayed a few minutes, unless there's a train strike.

Are you traveling with luggage, or just an overnight bag? If with luggage, you're going to want to check it. There's a left luggage facility between the train and the ferry terminal.
Not knowing how busy it might be, I wouldn't purchase my ferry ticket until I'd reach the port.
But... if you intend to take the last ferry back to Salerno, buy that ticket at the same time.

Edit it's about a 15-20 minute walk between the 2.

Posted by
3112 posts

Gerri's comment about the walking distance between the train station and ferry port has confirmed what I was thinking, that 28 minutes isn't a realistic amount of time to arrive by train, drop off your luggage (at lodgings or left luggage) and be aboard the ferry by 9:40. I'm not aware of any place to check luggage in Positano, so you'll want to leave it in Salerno.

Posted by
37 posts

Thank you both for the info. No I will not be carrying luggage, just a change of clothing in a cinch bag. Do the ferries usually sell out for morning runs? And if seas are to rough will I have to eat the cost of a prepaid ticket? Thanks