Please sign in to post.

Ferry from Naples to Sorrento

Has anyone taken the ferry from Naples to Sorrento? Any advice?
Thanks.

Posted by
2461 posts

We did. You are indoors like on a plane. It was not crowded at all. You end up below Sorrento. There were buses waiting and we were in town in no time.

Our hotel in Naples was closer to the ferry station than to the train station and we thought it would be easier. We returned 10 days later via a ferry from Capri. Indoor seating as well.

Posted by
7179 posts

As noted, there is nothing magically transporting about sitting in an airline-style seat, prohibited from standing or sitting on an outdoor deck, and having only a few glass portholes to look through. It's 2022. Pick the schedule and price that suits you. Unfortunately, the "train", or Circumvesuviana is incredibly crowded and often hot.

Once we paid a rip-off 15 Euro taxi from the Sorrento Circumvesuviana station to our in-town hotel, it was an easy decision to order an air-conditioned Mercedes sedan back to the Naples train station for 90 Euros, for our departure. We even charged it to our hotel bill.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to download timely ferry schedules, covering all the ferry companies, before your trip. Going from Sorrento to Capri, I noticed that the ticket window for Company A will not volunteer that you could leave 35 minutes earlier by walking over to ... Company B's ... window. Just like American capitalism.

Posted by
245 posts

We took the ferry -- 2017 this was ...outdoor seating was an option; we were traveling in end of May/early June. We had been on trains so much and decided to take the ferry for a change and a chance to see the coastline from the water. We thoroughly enjoyed. Upon arrival in Sorrento we took a taxi to our airbnb. Very easy.

Posted by
2922 posts

I too took a ferry from Naples to Sorrento because I read the Circumvesuviana train has pickpockets. I took a taxi from the Napoli Centrale station (downstairs is where you board the Circumvesuviana) and when I stood in line to buy my ticket a guy began unzipping my backpack. A friend I was traveling with handed his female companion five euro to keep him away that worked. After I got inside the gate of the ferry port all was fine.
I’ve read that it’s more scenic than the Circumvesuviana but there really was not much of a view. We sat on top since the weather was good and this was in Nov. We arrived at Marina Piccolo and climbed up a steep stairwell to get to our hotel, pack light. I heard that there’s a lift but I did not see one.
When I visited Pompeii, I took the Circumvesuviana train and had no problems, but then again, I wasn’t hauling luggage.