Please sign in to post.

FCO to Sorrento

Want to go to Sorrento after flying into FCO. Train travel seems the easiest. Do we go to Termini for the fast train to Naples? Is Circumvesuviana the only train to Sorrento? Sounds a little dicey.
Has anyone taken the direct bus from the Tiburtina station?

Posted by
15213 posts
  1. Train from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Napoli Centrale (change at Roma Termini)
    www.trenitalia.com
    Then Circumvesuviana train from Napoli to Sorrento
    www.eavsrl.com
    You could also take a private car transfer or taxi from Napoli to Sorrento. The cost would be about 90€ instead of 4€ per person with the Circumvesuviana.

2. Train from FCO to Tiburtina
    www.trenitalia.com
    Then Marozzi bus to Sorrento
    https://www.marozzivt.it/home

Posted by
11185 posts

Or fly FCO to Naples and take the special bus that goes directly to Sorrento.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you. I will go on these websites.
Any recommendations for hotels in Sorrento? We are going in two weeks. I'm not making reservations because we fly standby.

Avoid the Circumvesuviana if possible. We did it last month, we survived but it was long, hot and very crowded. The direct bus from Tiburtina would probably be very good, if the timing is right, or if your train gets into Naples, close to the time for the Campania Express train. Both of these options have limited runs, so you could be waiting a long time if the timing isn't close. I also saw something about a shuttle from Naples train to Sorrento hotel, which would also be a good option, especially since cabs in Sorrento are very expensive. In hindsight, I would have taken the shuttle but didn't find out about it till later. There is also a nice bus shuttle from NAP to Sorrento that runs about once an hour. Good luck.

Posted by
23301 posts

There are options but if you have to take the Circumvesuviana then it is fine. It has a reputation for pickpockets but we have been on it a number of times and never saw a pickpocket or felt uneasy. It is commuter train but it functions fairly well. There will be a bunch of American tourists on it so you will have company.

Posted by
370 posts

Hello, we are going to sorrento in 3 weeks and five days and also arriving in FCO. We are going to try and take the Fiumincino Express from Terminal 3 to Napoli centrale station, if we clear customs and get on the 10:45 bus. If not, we will do the LE train from Fiumincino, then a fast train, then the Circumvesuviana. I think that if you are aware of your surroundings, hold purses close, etc, you will be fine. In all of our trips, I was only pickpocketed once, but a good camera was taken out of my jacket pocket. We were with our cousins in Cinque Terre and the place was absolutely mobbed. People kept bumming into us constantly and I was keeping my eye on my cousins, instead of being aware of the people around me. Lesson learned.

I have not been to the Tiburtina station, sorry, can't help with that.

Posted by
15831 posts

There are options but if you have to take the Circumvesuviana then it
is fine. It has a reputation for pickpockets but we have been on it a
number of times and never saw a pickpocket or felt uneasy.

Just backing Frank up here. We've taken that train and while it's admittedly a bare-bones commuter short on comfort, it's gets the job done for little cost. In reality, you need to protect yourself on the Circ. the same as you would on ANY public transit in any tourist city in Italy, and in any heavily visited tourist location. Follow the guidelines for keeping your valuables safe and you'll be fine.

It's also how many of the locals travel so if you want to do as they do, then take the train.

Posted by
23 posts

For hotels in Sorrento: We had a great experience at Palazzo Tasso. It was a moderately sized room with a great balcony overlooking one of the main streets (great for people watching and to watch the city wake up and wind down), had a great breakfast (included) and friendly staff. Everything was in easy walking distance (train station, pier/docks, shopping, etc) and there is a fantastic little restaurant in an alley just a few steps from the hotel---friendly, family-owned and we ate there more than once during our stay in Sorrento (Chantecler's Trattoria).

And FWIW, we did the train from FCO, changing at Roma Termini to Naples. We hired a driver from Naples to Sorrento, as it just seemed easier logistically since we had read horror stories about the Circumvesuviana. It was actually a nice way to connect with the country and practice using my Italian---and turns out the driver was from the same (Italian) town as my family :) That being said, we used the Circumvesuviana several times during our stay and it was NBD. Would I have wanted to take it all the way from Naples (with bags) and coming into an unfamiliar city for the first time? Maybe not. But it probably would have been fine to take BACK to Naples since we were much more comfortable at that point.

Posted by
7332 posts

It is unwise to go to Sorrento without a hotel reservation - unless you don't care at all about where you end up. This is a heavily visited resort town. If you are nervous about the widely used and inexpensive Circumvesuviana, you should not be going to Sorrento without a hotel.

Edit: Thanks Chani. I want to emphasize that I was not trying to be insulting or dismissive. I was saying that the OP's feeling (stated by the OP) about the Circumvesuviana (which I have been on at least five times, but still don't much like) is a clue to what I have to imagine is their mode of travel. I don't have any budget problems, but even when I did, I would never have lined up at the TI to be referred to a ... .... room ... .... of unknown quality. Maybe I missed some "Rick Steves Moments" because of it!

Posted by
15593 posts

Tim wrote what I was thinking. Widen your area. Where do you want to go and how long do you want to stay in the area? You might do a lot better just staying in Naples. It's as easy to get to Pompeii and Herculaneum, and even Capri. Maybe you can find something in Salerno if you want to visit the Amalfi Coast.