Please sign in to post.

FCO to Roma Termini

Say you're arriving on United Airlines 42 at 8:10 am on a weekday, you pick up your bags, go through customs and walk to the Leonardo Express terminal, buy a ticket and ride to Roma Termini. If everything went smoothly, what time would you think you might get to Roma Termini. I've done this a couple times before, but can't recall how long it took.

Posted by
1215 posts

I've done this a number of times, and find it unpredictable. First, from "landing" until you are actually off the plane can take 20-30" (unless you are first class, etc.) The biggest question is how long it will take to get through immigration (passport control) when you first land. I've stood in that line 15"; I've stood in it an hour. Others report much longer waits. As I never check a bag going to Italy, and customs is just walking through - no stop there - those only take about the ten minutes of walking. The train station in FCO is about a 15" walk from the exit from baggage claim at terminal 3 (international arrivals) through the terminal, down and up escalators, plus buying your ticket. At that time of morning, the Leonardo Express departs approx. every 30" and takes about 45" to Termini. There is also the walk, within Termini, from the Leonardo Express platform (waaaaayyy down at the end of the station) to the front of the platforms.. another 10-15" there. So... to put it all together: On a really good day, it would take 2.5 hours. I always give it at least 3 hours, for a bit of a cushion. If you are booking a train from Termini, I'd strongly suggest a post-noon departure, to be safe.

Posted by
1849 posts

Depends.....timing is everything. If you catch the Leonard just as it is set to leave, then its about 45 minutes. If you JUST missed it, then it will be 75 minutes. PLUS, however long it takes to get off the plane, get your bags, clear passport control, walk to the Express, get a ticket. My guess you will arrive between 11-noon.

Posted by
166 posts

Well, I guess we got lucky. The plane landed at 7:54. A long walk to Carousel 11 and the bags came right out. Went through Customs without stopping and walked to the train station. Bought tickets on Leonardo to Termini (leaving in three minutes!) and got here at 9:20. Upstairs having a cappuccino now.

Posted by
245 posts

Wow, that's great timing! I'm hoping mine is the same (though I land at Terminal 1 from Canada) - I've already bought my ticket leaving Termini because of a great price, and I hope I don't miss it and have to buy another at full price. (Some people gamble in Vegas, I'm gambling with train tickets, LOL).

Posted by
1215 posts

Woo hoo! That's amazing! I want to travel on your coattails, next time! Hope the rest of your travel adventure goes so smoothly! Enjoy!!!