Please sign in to post.

Family trip to Italy April Break 2020

My family and I are planning on a trip to Italy, flying out of NYC on Wed April 8 and back to NYC on Friday 17.
We are thinking of flying into Rome and then out of Venice, but still have some flexibility.
Neither of my kids, ages 13 and 17, have been to Europe.
We do not like to travel with a must see check list but rather just enjoy where we are.
My husband and I always take a Fat Tire Bike tour as an introduction to the city we are in. For instance, we had more fun biking around Versailles and picnicking on the Grand Canal than actually taking the crowded tour of the inside...ditto with the Louvre and Mona Lisa. Our kids are very similar.

Concerned that we will be in Italy during Holy week. Not sure if we should be embracing or avoiding Rome at Easter?
Will we have a hard time finding a restaurant/stuff to do?
Here is our thoughts on an itinerary:

Thursday 4/9: Fly into Rome around noon...
Friday 4/10:
Saturday 4/11:
Easter Sunday?????---stay in Rome or take train to Florence?
Monday 4/13: Florence
Tuesday 4/14: Florence
Wednesday 4/15: train to Venice
Thursday 4/16: Venice
Friday: 4/17 fly home to NYC

Any and all suggestions are most welcome!

Posted by
1253 posts

Consider reversing the order, flying into Venice and out of Rome. Flights heading west from Venice tend to leave pretty early, getting to Marco Polo airport early can be a bit of a hassle.

Posted by
11461 posts

With 8 nights, I would confine yourselves to two of the three cities so you can just enjoy where you are. Four nights in each of two places is about right.

None of these cities is a huge problem on Easter, but you do need to make reservations for Easter lunch as it seems like everyone eats out. There will, however, be a lot of closures of museums and sites on Easter Sunday so maybe a good day for that Fat Tire tour or a nice walk on the Appian Way. Also, Easter Monday is a big deal all over Italy so if that ends up being a travel day, get your train tickets as soon as you are able.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks so far. I know that the ideal would be two cities, but I can't bring myself to choose between Florence and Venice.
I was last in Italy when I was 11 and I remember Venice most fondly of the two cities.
Thoughts?

Posted by
6570 posts

I'll echo Aussie- it is decidedly easier to fly INTO Venice, out of Rome for reasons he mentioned.

I also do agree with Laurel- 8 nights/2 locations would be ideal but if you want all 3 it is doable.

Venice- 3 nights- (3 nights =2.5 days- and this half day is jet lag day)
great place to get over jet lag/entry to Italy. Not sure how a bike ride would work in Venice- all canals and bridges, maybe Lido? Visit the islands. Take a gondola rowing class?

Florence- 2 nights you don't sound overly interested in museums and didn't mention day trips, so 2 in Florence is OK. Museums are closed on Monday in Florence and you are arriving on Easter Sunday, so if you want Accademia or Uffizi you'll need to check to see if open. Take picnic lunch on train and you won't need to worry about restaurant at least for lunch ;)

Rome 3 nights- that's the bare minimum # of nights Rome should get- putting Rome at end gives you more usable time there (rather than at start where your first day is basically a wash). Train from Florence is just 1.5-2 hours, take an early train.

Posted by
6570 posts

:) Cindy- I don't think anyone here can make that choice for you!
Make a list of what you (and the kids) would like to see and do in each place.
Check flights/costs. We prefer nonstop direct flights TO Europe, not as important homeward bound but also prefer if possible.
I don't think you will find direct to/from Florence to NYC. With such a short trip I'd not want to chance missed connections, lost luggage, etc.

We've been to all 3 on our first trip to Italy. Loved all 3. I don't believe I could pick a favorite
We took a much shorter trip this past May for our 40th mainly to go to Amalfi- so we flew into Rome. We love Venice so much we actually took train there from Salerno and spent our last 2 nights in Venice, departing directly home from Venice.
We know we will return to Italy again (and again) and want to give Florence/Tuscany more time/focus on next trip.

Given what you said above about Venice I'd say pick Venice and Rome.
Plan to return to Florence one day- there is a lot in that area that could easily fill another 8 night trip- Florence, Tuscany hill towns, CT, etc.

Posted by
1253 posts

With kids, Venice is a better bet. The whole insanity of a city being built on a bunch of islands in a lagoon, and becoming over time a major cultural and military power is really something.
Forego cycling in Venice; consider this venicekayak.com.

https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/venice-canoeing-kayaking-975809/

The beauty of Venice pf course is no traffic other than a plethora of boats, boats collecting rubbish, delivering pianos and toilet paper, boats driving piles into the canals.

Venice is really safe. You can boot the kids out the door with a map and some euros and tell them you expect them home for supper. Can’t do that in Firenze.

Posted by
31 posts

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
I agree that Florence/CT is a trip in itself.
We live on an island ourselves and bike and kayak all the time.
Biking Rome and kayaking Venice sounds really cool.
I looked at the link and apparently Venice is trying to stop the kayaking but I emailed the link to see what there status is.
Thanks for all the insights!
Cindy

Posted by
15658 posts

Aside from logistics, Venice is a much better place to start your trip. Relax and soak up the atmosphere while you adjust to the time change in this quiet, low-key city. End in big, bustling Rome when you can better appreciate its major sights and majestic ruins.

Whether the kayak tour works out or not, look at rowvenice.com for a gondola lesson.

Posted by
979 posts

I don’t think not making plans is a great idea in Italy. I would at least make reservations for a couple of must-see places, or you’ll find yourselves waiting in massive lines eating up your day.

With kids your age, I would do 3 nights Rome, 3 nights Florence and 2 Venice.

During one of your Florence days, take your kids here. I saw it on a travel channel and it looks wonderful and would be fun for them (and you). You don’t have to stay the night, but can participate in the goat combing and activities. In the spring you can actually comb the goats! Schedule a private driver. I think it said it’s halfway between Siena and Florence. Mom and Dad can buy a beautiful authentic cashmere scarf, too! There’s lots of reviews on the internet about this farm.

http://www.chianticashmere.com/en/

We are doing 3 nights Florence this time, and one of those days will be traveling to Tuscany region, too.

Posted by
11367 posts

We also like to be flexible in planning but in Italy you need to make reservations or buy tickets I advance for famous sites. I am inRome now and it is packed with tourists.