Please sign in to post.

Family Itinerary Help - July 2023

My family recently just got back to the US from a 9-night trip to Iceland. It was amazing with lots of memories made.
We took our 4-year old and 6-year old children. We are already planning our next European Vacation for July 2023. Our family of four have already traveled to Portugal, Iceland, and Ireland (twice) so we do have the experience and patience (haha) to travel with young children.

We are considering a 9-night trip next July 2023. We would fly into Florence (or Milan) and out of Milan (or Florence). We plan to have three bases: Como (need Town suggestion), Cinque Terre, and Tuscany (need town suggestion). Before children, we did spend a few days in both Florence and Cinque Terre.

So here is my potential itinerary:
Base 1: Varenna or Bellagio (3 nights)**
--- What would be the most kid-friendly Town? We are open to these two or others that are on Lake Como.
--- We also plan to take a day trip into Lugano, Switzerland.
--- Would you rent a car from Milan Airport or take a train? If coming from Cinque Terre, would you drive with a stop in Parma on the way?

Base 2: Cinque Terre (3 nights)**
---- We would drive from Lake Como (or Tuscany), stopping in Parma to break up the trip.
---- We probably will stay in Riomaggiore as there is an apartment we loved a few years ago. Other villages are open to suggestions, however, that could be more kid-friendly.
Base 3: Tuscan Town (3 nights)
---- What Town gives you the most rural settings that are near vineyards with beautiful views? We probalby will rent an apartment or house that has a private swimming pool. We may visit Florence as a day-trip, but we prefer to be outside the city.
---- Would you stay in Tuscany last or first? The order of this trip would be based on the most convenience of traveling by car rental and / or taking trains. I am open to any option.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Posted by
11234 posts

Base 1. With only two days on Lake Como do not waste one of the days by traveling to Lugano. Pretty lake, more formal feel. Skip it. We prefer Bellagio and have visited four times. Varenna is also nice, though smaller, not as many dining options.

Base 3. Tuscany. Any of the Chianti towns north of Siena, Castellina, Radda, Panzano, Greve. Siena is also a possibility. Rental car.

Posted by
4105 posts

I agree with Sukis’ suggestion of lodging towns. Very centrally located.

Have you considered flying into Florence and out of Milan? From FLR, that region of Tuscany is maybe 40-50 minutes from the airport. Not too far to drive after an international flight.

I think your itinerary will be dictated by where you fly in and out of.

Posted by
256 posts

Thanks for the information and responses.

We do plan to fly into Milan and out of Florence. This preliminary itinerary can be reversed as well (into Florence, out of Milan) based on more research and suggestions.

Posted by
256 posts

Below is my very, very preliminary itinerary. What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.? Also, should I rent a car the entire trip? I am comfortable driving in another country if needed.
Thank you.

Day 1: NC to Florence (Overnight Flight)
Day 2: Tuscany (Tuscany Night 1)
Day 3: Tuscany Villages, Wine, Farms, Sienna, San Gimignano, etc.) (Tuscany Night 2)
Day 4: Florence Day Trip (Tuscany Night 3)
Day 5: Pisa, Lucca, Riomaggiore (Riomaggiore Night 4)
Day 6: Swim, Boat, Hike, Eat (Riomaggiore Night 5)
Day 7: Swim, Boat, Hike, Eat (Riomaggiore Night 6)
Day 8: Drive towards Como, Parma (Cheese Tour, Lunch), Milano ((Duomo di Milano, Castello Sforzesco), Arrive at Night in Varenna (Varenna Night 7)
Day 9: Lake Como, Private Boat Tour, Bellagio, etc. (Varenna Night 8)
Day 10: Lugano, Switzerland Day Trip (Varenna Night 9)
Day 11: Fly back to NC from Milano

Posted by
256 posts

For Day 3, I can condense the itinerary. We do not even know where to stay yet. We do want to stay on a kid friendly farm, villa, or vineyard that has a pool. If you have any suggestions on places to stay in Tuscany, I would greatly appreciate it. We want to be outside of Florence.

Thanks again.

Posted by
2531 posts

You know your family but you might consider having only two places to stay. Personally, I would pick Tuscany and Lake Como.

Varenna is lovely but another town to consider is Bellano. We stayed there last summer. I think it would be perfect with children, although the ferry isn't quite as convenient as Varenna. Basically, it does not run as often, although the train to Varenna makes up for some of that.

It is one town north of Varenna on the train line. It is flat near the lake and there are playgrounds and lots of places to walk. It has three grocery stores (we went to all of them). It has a town beach that my kids (young adults) enjoyed. It has a wonderful park with waterfalls in it that you should visit even if you stay in Varenna.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrFaz00wxdjtI4j9caXnIlQ;_ylu=c2VjA2NkLWF0dHIEc2xrA3NvdXJjZQR2dGlkAwRydXJsA2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnlvdXR1YmUuY29tL3dhdGNoP3Y9djczbTlhQjRfSFU-/RV=2/RE=1662530484/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dv73m9aB4_HU/RK=2/RS=p6EevKLEtF0MhVJoVTE6d4xnh2g-

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrCmrDAwhdjJhsAPScPxQt.;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1662530368/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2flakecomostyle.com%2forrido-di-bellano-natural-waterfall-and-gorge-bellano-lake-como%2f/RK=2/RS=9E.Gnj7KryH1skWbO2FeeWFejWo-

Posted by
2531 posts

I don’t know if it is most kid friendly as I didn’t go to all the towns. But I thought it was a great place for families even when we were visiting with our (adult) children. There are tourists but it is a real community with the amenities you might expect.

We also had one of our best meals while we were in Italy there in a place with handwritten menus written in Italian. Goggle translate was pretty useless and the wAitress who spoke limited English asked us if we wanted her to choose. There were 7 of us and we shared family style. It was fabulous.

Posted by
11364 posts

Day 8 looks tight to me. The drive itself is probably at least 5 hours (Google Maps says 4H 39M but usually underestimates), and what would you do with a car in Milan? If you park outside the city, there is extra time in transportation to and from.

Parma yes, but then straight to Varenna so you can enjoy some daylight to settle in.

FWIW, I also would stick to two locations with only 9 nights and little kids, Varenna and a Tuscan small town or agriturismo. They are going to love the lake, the farm (if you can stay at an agriturismo), and the small towns. The Cinque Terre may not be the same place you fondly remember… It’s gotten overexposed and over touristed.

Posted by
256 posts

Thank you for the reply and information.

So Cinque Terre has changed? My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this amazing place eight years ago. We have always wanted to return.

Posted by
11364 posts

We were in the Cinque Terre in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, and on the last stay said “never again” due to the daytripping hoards. That said, you can avoid a lot of them if you stay off the Sentiero Azurro or the main “Blue Trail” so many flock to and hike on the higher (and often easier) paths.

BTW, we always visited in October. I cannot imagine the craziness in July.

We did hazard a day trip ourselves in 2018, just going into Vernazza and Riomaggiore for a quick look and lunch at a favorite restaurant. It was a non-cruise ship day so not too bad crowd wais. Still, we were happy to be staying further north in Liguria.

Posted by
4105 posts

Laurel, you have much mor fortitude than I.
Last trip was September 2012. Left after the first night, ate the rest of the 3N reservation and moved to Santa Margherita.

Michael sent you a private message.

Posted by
187 posts

We stayed in Sinalunga at Locanda dell'Amorosa. We didn't have any children with us but it is a lovely property and easy to get to m any places. San Gimingnano is an hour or so away as our many other beautiful small towns in Tuscany. I am sure there are other properties like this that would be lovely and kid friendly. This is my favorite part of Italy, I personally would avoid Pisa - too many tourists. We stopped for a minute, took a photo and left. Lucca is lovely. Montalcino, Montepulciano are both beautiful towns to visit and wander around it.

I agree with what people are saying about Cinque Terre - we were there many years ago. I spoke with someone that was there last month and she indicated that parts of the path between the towns is closed. Also, too many people. So, not sure what to tell you about this. Camogli is a beautiful little town nearby the Cinque Terre - check that out. Might not be as busy - not sure.

We were in Lake Como last year - stayed at Bellagio which we love. Rented an Airbnb (two couples) and took the ferry to Varenna, Tremezzo and Mennagio. Tremezzo was our favorite after Bellagio. Didn't see many children. Can be full of tourists. Had to be sure to take dinner reservations in advance. We had thought about going to Switzerland for the day but opted out of that. Saving it for another day.

Hope this is helpful.