Please sign in to post.

Exploring possibilities between Milan and Lucca in early August 2018

After a rest in Varenna, we are designing our train itinerary for some new experiences between Milan and Lucca. One route would take us to Turin and Genoa. We would consider 1 night in Corniglia where we have enjoyed Valeria's on the cliff overlooking the Ligurian Sea.

Another possibility is Cremona for violin music, Piacenza for equestrian statues and Botocelli's Madonna, and Parma for gastronomical delights. Recommendations?

Posted by
11205 posts

Alba in the Piemonte after Turin.
Bologna added after Cremona.

Posted by
255 posts

In response to how "spectacular" Valeria's above Carniglia truly is, if you have never been and we have captured your attention, this was one of our most beautiful and comfortable lodging experiences through tour 2 travels in Italy! Yet we almost missed it!
First time in Cinque Terre, thought Valeria's was in Vernassa and expected to catch a taxi. Sat on a bench outside the train station awaiting a taxi. None. Called the number on a wall. The ensuing conversation made no sense. Learned Valeria's address is actually Cornelia. Trained there after almost getting pick pocketed, but my husband's hand was fast enough to prevent the theft. Once in Cornelia, called our host, at 2:00...no answer...it was pazza...and the family owns a restaurant and they close for their afternoon meal, of course, but we didn't know that. Frustrated and about to pass out from the heat and frustration, my husband accepted an offer for a room in a gentleman's familiy home located up a winding stairway nestled in the village. 50 Euro...just when Valeria's finally answer's my 10th call, informing us to meet their daughter who will take us up the mountain to our lodging. The gentleman who had accepted our 50 brought us to his nana who pleaded with us, in a profusion of tears, to stay in their family's room. We let them keep the 50 and proceeded to catch our ride to, yes, the most comfortable and beautiful view of the sea overlooking Cinque Terre.
Their restaurant, La Lanturna, not only provided a delicious dinner. We were served by Lorenzo, truly, the most interesting man in the world! I can prove it. We took a photo😉. So, if you arrange to stay at Valeria's in Cornelia, you have made plans worth you perseverance. Ciao!

Posted by
11613 posts

Another vote for Torino, I am here now and love it!

Also, Bologna. Modena is close, too.