Please sign in to post.

Exchanging USDollars at Bank in Italy.

Could you please tell me if it's better just to bring a large amount of cash in US dollars and exhange for euros at a bank or is the atm the most reasonable way to go? A friend of mine is going on a cruise and plans on only bringing cash to exchange for euros along with a credit card for large purchases. Thank-you
Sharon

Posted by
4555 posts

If your friend is going on a cruise with a large amount of dollars, it's going to be a waste of time searching for banks to exchange to Euro at each port....never mind the risk of losing the money or having it stolen. You won't get a better exchange rate at a bank than an ATM. You may end up paying a few dollars more in service fees to use ATMs (depending on which ATM card you use), but the security and convenience makes that minor expense more than worthwhile.

Posted by
6898 posts

It would depend on how soon your friend will be boarding the ship. You can easily get 200E-300E at an ATM. But that's it for 24 hours. Or, you could use a 2nd ATM card from a different account to get more. I don't think you will like the bank exchange rate. On the cruise ship itself, I don't think that you will be using cash. They provide you with a special electronic card for use throughout the ship. You cash out before leaving the ship.

Posted by
192 posts

Get your cash from ATM's. The exchange rate will be terrible for US dollars - no one wants them.

Posted by
261 posts

Instead of bringing Dollars, why not get Euros here? I found the exchange rate at my bank comparable to ATM's, plus a small delivery fee. We used our ATM card, but didn't have to worry about hitting the daily max. Taking dollars, then having to find places to exchange them seems like it would waste a lot of time.

Posted by
805 posts

Exchanging cash rather than using an ATM is nearly always a much worse exchange rate....

Posted by
23420 posts

Sharon, that is a poor plan. She will be able to exchange currency on the ship but at a poor rate. The ATM with a debit card is ALWAYS the most economical way to go. Period !!! European banks are not in the business of being currency exchanges -- just like US banks. Would love to know where Margaret is getting Euro in the US at the ATM rate. The best I can find in the Denver area is 6 to 10%.

Posted by
1358 posts

Everyone now agrees that ATMs are best and most convenient in spite of fees. They are on every corner and so easy to use. Use your credit card for large purchases.

Notify your bank that you will be using your card in Italy and state the period of time.
I have used my ATM card for 15 years without a single problem.
Sometimes I have to find a second machine if the first doesnt take my card, but that is easy.

Posted by
32244 posts

Sharon,

It's a really bad idea to carry large amounts of cash, and then hope you'll be able to find a bank willing to exchange them. As the others have suggested, ATM's are a much better option.

I'd suggest taking at least two ATM cards on different accounts, as well as at least one credit card. Please mention to your friend that funds must be in a chequing account with a four number PIN. It's a good idea to call the bank(s) and let them know that the cards will be used in Europe, so they don't "freeze" transactions. Also, she might want to review her daily withdrawal limit with the bank, to ensure this will be adequate when foreign exchange is added.

I haven't been on a cruise in a while, but it's quite possible there will be ATM's on the ship.

Cheers!

Posted by
23420 posts

We have been on Holland Am out of Rome for the past two summers and there were no ATMs on those ships. My guess is the problem of maintaining a network connection so that the ATM knows that you have money available.

Posted by
466 posts

This is such a worn out question on this website. ATM s the way to go. It's the cheapest and easiest. Why would you risk bringing lots of cash? ATM's work just the same as they do here in the good ol USA. As far as I'm concerned, it's the ONLY way to go. Have fun and leave your cash at home. (except a little bit in case of an emergency)!!!