Please sign in to post.

Evening Vatican tour

We just got our flight info and we don’t land in Rome til 230pm on Saturday 9/28. We are hoping to do an evening tour of the Vatican to avoid it on Sunday. Any tour recommendations please?

Posted by
27640 posts

Have you traveled to Europe before? Although some folks are relatively functional on the day their overnight, transatlantic flight lands, many of us are groggy--or worse--from a combination of sleep-deprivation and jetlag. The usual recommendation is to do outdoor things on arrival day so your body begins to adjust to the new time zone. I would never plan a pre-paid activity on my arrival day, especially not a €100 (I'm guessing) tour. I wouldn't be interested in taking the tour in my zombiefied state.

Posted by
16395 posts

You asked a similar question in an earlier post, except it was about doing the tour on the morning you leave for Civitavecchia to board your ship.

As mentioned in that previous thread, Sunday isn't an option anyway unless all you want to see of the 'Vatican' is St Peter's and the square, as the museums are closed. The church is free so if you can make your way there before it closes (7:00 PM) the security line to get in should be shorter in late afternoon so you just might make it. If not, you're not out any $.

If your intention is to see the museums, there's no way, personally, I'd book a tour for arrival day. Any sort of flight or checked-luggage delay or long passport-control line (I'll assume that Rome is your entry point to the Schengen?) will throw a wrench in that plan. Plus, given the size and crowds at the museums, I sure wouldn't try and take them on in a jet-lagged state. You need to be well rested for THAT one. Honestly, Monday morning is your best bet depending on when boarding time is for your ship.

All of that said, if you still think you can manage it this group tour starts at 5:30 PM on the 28th. It does not include the basilica, and some of the reviews mention that crowds were still heavy later in the day. If you miss the tour time, you lose your payment as it's cancellable only up to 24 hours in advance. That's a pretty standard cancellation policy for all companies.
https://thetourguy.com/tours/vatican/vatican-museums-evening-tour?_gl=1*xjxm8d*_up*MQ..&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkY2g3O_khgMVHi7UAR2tuACmEAAYASAAEgLGF_D_BwE

The latest start time that the Vatican itself offers tours is 4:00 PM. That's not nearly enough time if coming from Fiumicino airport; even 5:30 would be a push.