Please sign in to post.

Euros- are Euros bought early in 2019 out of date?

We bought Euros early in 2019 for a trip to Sicily which was then cancelled due to Covid. Has the Euro bill been changed recently rendering the bills we have unusable? I’m asking because we recently ran into a problem using British Pounds that were only a few years old. Thank you.

Posted by
4692 posts

We also ran into this problem with some British Pounds and CHF notes. We were told that if you presented the notes to the main banks in each country, you could redeem them for the newer notes. We were also told that the newer notes are harder to counterfeit , and that these measures had already been integrated into the Euros. This is third party info, but I'm assuming it's correct.

Posted by
3996 posts

I always bring home extra €s I’ve gotten from an ATM prior to returning to New York so I have them for my next trip. I’ve never had a problem even if it’s been several years since returning to a European country whose currency is the €.

Posted by
6532 posts

I bought a bunch of Euros in Sicily in 2018 and they spent very well in Spain a couple months ago. No problem at all. As Nick noted, there were some design changes beginning in 2013 so I ensured I only brought home notes with 2013 or later dates in case the pre-2013 notes became obsolete and no longer considered legal tender.

Posted by
5326 posts

The ECB has indicated that the first series of notes will at some time cease to be legal tender but no date has been set. Even then they will be exchangeable through central banks indefinitely.

Posted by
856 posts

Swiss francs are an issue. Their currency can and does expire. You may be able to exchange outdated newer francs at a bank, but not older francs.

Posted by
504 posts

We just came back and had Euros from 2015 that we used no problem. Took out more on the way out of town for our next trip.

Posted by
17 posts

Thanks everyone for responding. Your help was much appreciated! Looks like our Euros will be good to use.