Please sign in to post.

European trip in summer of 2022 w/2 kids

Hi,
My wife and I (ages 72 and 68) are retired and are raising our two youngest granddaughters, ages 9 and 14 whom we hope to take on a European adventure during the summer of 2022, pandemic allowing. Part of our itinerary will hopefully include a few days in northern Italy--Pisa, Venice, perhaps Florence. We'll likely be driving down from Germany via rental car so transport shouldn't be a problem, but lodging advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Posted by
338 posts

Did you make an inquiry about lodging and transportation in France a couple days ago? Looks like you’ve changed course. Lodging where? In Germany or Italy or both?

Posted by
23 posts

Yes that was me! After doing some more research and reading some of the comments on the forum, we decided to start our trip in Germany (probably fly into Frankfurt initially) and branch out from there...one branch of that would be to drive into northern Italy. We've been to Pisa and Venice before and think the kids would enjoy them both; Florence is a possibility, but I don't know what is there for kids. Last time we were there we stayed in Vicenza and Livorno but that was nearly 20 years ago. Any ideas on lodging for the 4 of us would be welcome. Thanks!

Posted by
2329 posts

We stayed in a wonderful apartment on Giudecca island in 2018 with our two teens. https://abnb.me/i1IeB7p0pgb

This was our third trip to Venice and we purposely wanted to stay away from the hussle and bussle, especially in summer. This location was perfect. We parked our rental car at the parking structure near the cruise ship port. Then the vaporetto ride was only two stops until ours, so it was easy with luggage. And there’s only one bridge to cross between the vaporetto stop and the apartment. The apartment is on a quiet side street. There are three sleeping areas (master br and full bath downstairs), loft with queen bed upstairs, bedroom with 2 twins upstairs (and a cool little nook area that my son loved) and a full bathroom upstairs. There is a washing machine and drying rack and full kitchen. And a/c (VERY important in summer).

Some will tell you to stay near St. Marks. We’ve done that previously and really liked being removed from the crowds, noise, etc. It’s about a 20 minute ride to the apt, and it’s a lovely ride. There are restaurants, bakeries, shops and a grocery store nearby.

Posted by
2418 posts

I Italy I like staying in nun operated accommodations. See monasterystays.com. Many have quad rooms.

Posted by
63 posts

We traveled throughout Europe extensively with our now adult sons “back in the day”. I cannot emphasize how rewarding international travel can be for the developing mind. Bravo to you for considering this trip. Rick Steves guidebooks are full of outstanding affordable accommodations.

Posted by
7688 posts

It appears that the EU will be open to vaccinated Americans, but not sure about children unable to get vaccinated (vaccines only open now for 12 and above).

Driving in Italy can garner you an expensive ticket, not sure that I would drive in Italy again. Did it back in the 80s and 90s when we lived in Germany.

For Florence, check out the Hotel Balesteri, on the Arno in a central location. For Venice, recommend a place close to the Venice train station.

Don't miss Lucca and Siena.

Traveling with kids is not as hard as you might think. We took our kids through museums, cathedrals and historical places. We treated them like adults, but recommend you have them read about where you are going, so they understand what they are seeing.

Our kids loved the Gondola ride on the canals of Venice, the Sistine Chapel and all the art and history. Just don't try doing more than one museum a day.

Posted by
7 posts

We are the same age and taking our 4 grandchildren. When near Florence we always stay at Fattoria Lavacchio outside of Florence in the Tuscan Hills. Look at their website. Kids will love it. Many activities, including pool, great restaurant and fabulous host, Faye. You can drive to Cinque Terra and Pisa from there. 2 hour drive but well worth the stay Tell her John Carter suggested you call her.

Posted by
865 posts

In Venice, we once took an apartment near Campo Sant' Agostin. Well off the beaten path, very nice neighborhood. And I agree that if Pisa is on your list, definitely Lucca as well. In fact, I would base in Lucca instead of Pisa. My favorite hotel in Florence is Hotel Pendini. Bu there are many great places to stay there. As far as things for you kids to do in Florence, you might be surprised at how they take to the museums, the shops and especially the duomo.

Posted by
23 posts

For John Carter:
I checked out the website for Fattoria Lavacchio--looks fantastic! I couldn't get the link to the rates to provide any info, though...just got error codes. You mentioned the host, Faye...years ago when we were living in Germany my wife took a week-look cooking class in Umbria hosted by an American named Faye...could it be the same person? Anyway, this could serve as a possible central location for touring around northern Italy. Thanks for the info!

Posted by
650 posts

If you are driving from Germany to Italy, take into account extra drop off fees for leaving the car in Italy. You did not mention what city you would be flying out from.
Unless you are going to visit in other countries on your way to Italy, I think rail travel would be a better option.
You could return the car in Germany after you have explored ,take the train or fly(Easy Jet) into Venice (explore) and then rent a car at the Venice airport to continue your travels in Italy.
Do not forget to apply for an International Drivers License at your local AAA office.